Diploma of Community Services (Alcohol, Other Drugs and Mental Health) - 2013

Please note: This course is now delivered fully online.

This page is for past year, View 2017 course details.

Course summary

Course summary - 2013

Level: Vocational
Qualification: Diploma
Number of units: 20 units to complete

Download a course guide

Why fill out this form?
Required fields

Get advice on this course

Get advice on this course

Why fill out this form?
Required fields

Get advice on this course

Operating Hours

Standard hours

Mon - Fri: 8am - late

Sat & Sun: 9am - 5pm

All times in Australian Eastern
Standard Time (AEST) or Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT)

This qualification applies to workers providing services to clients in relation to mental health and alcohol and other drugs issues.

The qualification includes counselling, referral, advocacy and education/health promotion services

The qualification requires high level specialist knowledge, skills and competencies especially in regard to laws affecting clients, the range of services available to them and health issues related to mental health issues and alcohol and drug use and misuse.

You will be equipped to further your career and apply for more challenging roles such as an Alcohol and Drug Counsellor in a variety of settings. The course's teaching staff have extensive experience in their field, allowing them to provide practical knowledge and advice throughout the course. A focus on developing work related skills means successful employment outcomes for graduating students.

This course can enhance your employment prospects by preparing you for work within a wide variety of mental health/alcohol/other drugs counselling settings. Typical occupational titles include:

  • Alcohol and drugs worker
  • Community rehabilitation and support worker
  • Community support worker
  • Mental health outreach worker
  • Mental health rehabilitation support worker
  • Mental health support worker
  • Mental health community worker
  • Dual diagnosis worker

Pathways/ Articulation and pathways/ Career pathways

TAFE courses can be credited towards your OUA degree

Many OUA courses provide pathways through the qualifications needed to develop your career from TAFE Diplomas through to undergraduate Bachelors degrees and then on to the postgraduate qualifications:  Graduate Certificates, Graduate Diplomas and Masters degrees. Your TAFE qualification may provide you with the eligibility to apply for a higher level course or can provide you with unit exemptions and credit towards your university degree.

Applicants must demonstrate their eligibility for this course to Gipps TAFE before enrolling in any units through OUA.

To gain entry into this qualification a candidate must:

1. Be recently appointed or currently working in a community support mental health and/or alcohol and other drugs work role and have a relevant recognised higher education or vocational education qualification at Certificate IV or above


2. Be recognised as competent, through a recognised training program or recognition process, against the core units of competency from one of the following qualifications (or equivalent):

CHC40512 Certificate IV in Mental Health

CHC40412 Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs


3. Have sufficient work experience in the relevant sector to indicate likely success at this level of qualification in a job role involving:

  • The application of knowledge with depth in some areas and demonstration of a broad range of technical and other skills
  • A wide range of tasks and roles in a variety of contexts, with complexity in the range and choices of actions required
  • The exercise of discretionary judgement and decision making under general guidance.

Students will need access to a computer and an internet connection

To qualify for the award of CHC50412 Diploma of Community Services (Alcohol, Other Drugs and Mental Health) you must successfully complete 20 units.

The numbers of units to be undertaken may be reduced where a candidate is eligible for credit transfer through previous accredited training and presentation of appropriate statement of attainment in either Certificate IV in Mental Health or Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs.

Formative assessment is based on the activities throughout the unit. This is pivotal to the education experience and provides reinforcement of learning and must be in your own words. Summative assessment will be based on online questions and assignments and will provide the basis of your grade. This must also be in your own words with any references properly sourced.

Total number of units to complete: 20 units Required Elective Optional
Unit name Code Provider Availability
CHCAD504B - Provide Advocacy and Representation Services
CHCT015A GippsTAFE SP1 SP2 SP3 -
CHCAOD402B - Work Effectively in the Alcohol and Other Drugs Sector
CHCT016A GippsTAFE SP1 SP2 SP3 -
CHCAOD510B - Work Effectively with Clients with Complex Alcohol and/or Other Drug Issues
CHCT017A GippsTAFE SP1 SP2 SP3 -
CHCAOD511C - Provide advanced interventions to meet the needs of clients with AOD issues
CHCT018B GippsTAFE - SP2 SP3 -
CHCAOD512B Develop and implement a behaviour response plan
CHCT019A GippsTAFE SP1 SP2 SP3 -
CHCAOD513A - Provide Relapse Prevention Strategies
CHCT020A GippsTAFE SP1 SP2 SP3 -
CHCCOM403A - Use Targeted Communication Skills to Build Relationships
CHCT021A GippsTAFE SP1 SP2 SP3 -
CHCCS504B - Provide services to clients with complex needs
CHCT022A GippsTAFE SP1 SP2 SP3 -
CHCCW503A - Work Intensively with Clients
CHCT023A GippsTAFE SP1 SP2 SP3 -
CHCICS305B - Provide Behaviour Support in the Context of Individual Plans
CHCT024A GippsTAFE SP1 SP2 SP3 -
CHCMH401A - Work Effectively in Mental Health Settings
CHCT025A GippsTAFE SP1 SP2 SP3 -
CHCMH402B - Apply Understanding of Mental Health Issues and Recovery Processes
CHCT026A GippsTAFE SP1 SP2 SP3 -
CHCMH404B - Conduct Assessment and Planning as Part of the Recovery Process
CHCT027A GippsTAFE SP1 SP2 SP3 -
CHCMH409A - Facilitate Consumer, Family and Carer Participation in the Recovery Process
CHCT028A GippsTAFE SP1 SP2 SP3 -
CHCMH501A - Provide Advanced Supports to Facilitate Recovery
CHCT029A GippsTAFE SP1 SP2 SP3 -
CHCMH504E Provide a range of services to people with mental health issues
CHCORG428A - Reflect on and Improve Own Professional Practice
CHCT031A GippsTAFE SP1 SP2 SP3 -
CHCPROM503A - Provide Community Focused Promotion and Prevention Strategies
CHCT032A GippsTAFE SP1 SP2 SP3 -
CHCPOL501A - Access Evidence and Apply in Practice
CHCT033A GippsTAFE SP1 SP2 SP3 -
HLTWHS401A Maintain Workplace WHS Processes
TAFE0012 GippsTAFE SP1 SP2 SP3 SP4

Recognition of Prior Learning is a process that assesses the individual’s formal and informal learning to determine the extent to which that individual has achieved the required learning outcomes, competency outcomes or standards for entry to, and/or partial or total completion of, a qualification.

Applicants with relevant on-the-job experience or with successful completion of part of relevant units may be eligible for Recognition of Prior Learning. If you believe you may be eligible for Recognition of Prior Learning you will need to provide details of your relevant qualifications or experience in the Application form for the course.

The Recognition of Prior Learning/Credit section on each of the university course pages on the OUA website has information about credit or unit exemptions for your previous study at TAFE. The Eligibility section of some courses lists TAFE qualifications required before you can apply to be admitted to the course.

Further information is available from Credit for previous study

You can pay fees in one of two main ways:

Eligible OUA students can access the government loan scheme known as FEE-HELP. You pay back the loan through your taxes once your income reaches a minimum threshold.

Who can access it?

  • Australian citizens who will undertake, in Australia, at least one unit of study contributing to their course
  • Permanent humanitarian visa holders who will be resident in Australia for the duration of their unit
  • Permanent visa holders who are undertaking bridging study for overseas-trained professionals, and will be resident in Australia for the duration of their study

Find out more about FEE-HELP

You can pay your fees upfront - in full at the beginning of a unit - using:
  • Credit card (Visa and MasterCard)
  • Cheque
  • Money order

You should make cheques and money orders payable to 'Open Universities Australia' and send them to:
Open Universities Australia
GPO Box 5387
Melbourne 3001