Fees | Open Universities Australia


Find out how much your course will cost, and how to pay your fees.

We make navigating the maze of fees easy. Our student advisors are on call to help you.

Both Australian and international students pay tuition fees for their online study. How much your fees are depend on several factors, like:

  • citizenship status
  • residency status
  • study load
  • level of study, such as undergraduate, postgraduate or non-award

You’ll be able to pay your fees in a way that suits you—such as a student loan or credit card payment.

Subject fees

To make things simpler, with us you pay for your studies on a subject-by-subject basis.

Your subject fees will depend on the subject you’re studying, and your citizenship or residency status. Look at the pricing information on each subject page to understand your subject fees. For each subject, we give you an indication of your subject fee and your upfront cost.

Your fees may vary depending on your enrolment—for example, whether you’re a domestic student using a FEE-HELP loan, a Commonwealth supported place student using HECS-HELP or an international student.

Domestic student fees

We consider you a domestic student if you’re an Australian citizen, a New Zealand citizen or if you hold any category of permanent Australian visa.

HECS-HELP student fees

If you’re a Commonwealth supported place student, the Australian Government can cover a portion of your costs via HECS-HELP—so your student fees, also known as the student contribution amount, may be lower than standard domestic student fees.

The Australian Government groups different areas of study into bands. Your contributions can vary according to the type of subject you’re enrolled in, and what the fee band is.

2021 maximum student contribution amounts
Student contribution band Student contribution amount^
Band 1: agriculture, English, mathematics, education, clinical psychology, Indigenous and foreign languages, nursing, statistics.
Band 2: other health, allied health, built environment, computing, engineering, surveying, science, environmental studies, pathology, visual and performing arts, professional pathway psychology, professional pathway social work. $993.75
Band 3: dentistry, medicine, veterinary science. $1,412.5
Band 4: law, accounting, administration, economics, commerce, communications, society and culture. $1,812.50
2020 maximum student contribution amounts
Student contribution band Student contribution amount^
Band 1: humanities, behavioural science, social studies, education, clinical psychology, foreign languages, visual and performing arts, nursing.
Band 2: computing, built environment, other health, allied health, engineering, surveying, agriculture, mathematics, statistics, science. $1,190
Band 3: law, dentistry, medicine, veterinary science, accounting, administration, economics, commerce. $1,394

^These amounts are only indicative costs for new students. These fees may vary depending on the subjects you choose, and they don’t include services and amenities fees, incidental fees (such as lab coats or art supplies) or the cost of your textbooks. Single subjects bands can be different, and single subjects international student fees can also be different.

International student fees

You’re classed as an international student if you’re not a permanent resident of Australia, and you’re a citizen of a country other than Australia or New Zealand. Even if you've got temporary residency in Australia, you're still considered an international student.

Generally, fees for international students are slightly higher than domestic students, but the amounts can vary depending on the university teaching each subject. See subject pages for an indication of fees—make sure you select 🌐 ‘International student’ to see the right estimate.

Administration fees

Sometimes admin fees might apply to your enrolment—your subject fees don’t cover these additional costs.

Student services and amenities fee

Unis can charge a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) for things like recreation, clubs, wellbeing and career support.

If you’re studying an undergraduate degree online as a Commonwealth supported place student with any of the universities listed below, you’ll need to pay a SSAF. To make things simpler, your uni will invoice you directly and you can arrange payment with them.

University Student Services and Amenities Fee
Curtin Visit SSAF at Curtin for more details.
Griffith Visit SSAF at Griffith for more details.
Murdoch Visit SSAF at Murdoch for more details.
Swinburne Visit SSAF at Swinburne for more details.
RMIT Visit SSAF at RMIT for more details.
UniSA Visit SSAF at UniSA for more details.
UTAS Visit SSAF at UTAS for more details.

SSAF loan

You’ll be able to get a loan through the Australian Government’s SA-HELP to help you pay the SSAF if you're eligible for HECS-HELP. To learn more, take a look at Study Assist or contact your uni for details of their policy regarding SA-HELP.

If you’re not eligible for HECS-HELP, you’ll need to pay the full SSAF.

More information

Fees for withdrawing from your subjects

If you withdraw from your subjects you may have to pay financial penalties—it all depends on the date you put through your request: 

  • On or before the close of enrolment—there are no financial penalties and you’re eligible for a refund or your subject fees.
  • After the close of enrolment, or, on or before the census date—you may have to pay a $50 financial penalty per subject, but you may be eligible for a refund of your subject fees.
  • After the census date—you’ll have to pay your subject fees and you may have to pay a $50 financial penalty per subject, unless you can demonstrate Special Circumstances.

See Key dates to find your close of enrolment and census dates. Current students can find more information about withdrawing from subjects in the Student Hub.

Payment options

You can pay for your subjects when you’re enrolling online. Options include paying by credit card, or choosing from the government funding options available.

Government funding

Eligible students studying through OUA can apply for HELP loans, which allow you to defer paying your tuition fees until your income reaches the minimum threshold. Then you simply repay your loan as you pay your taxes.

There are currently two types of HELP loan available:

  • FEE-HELP is available to undergraduate and postgraduate students. You apply for a loan on a subject-by-subject basis. Simply select your subjects and choose Enrol in your selected single subjects, when asked, and then follow the steps. For postgraduate students, just select your degree and subjects and follow the online steps.  
  • HECS-HELP is a loan scheme for eligible Commonwealth supported place students, and is available when you successfully apply online for a place in your degree. When you have selected your degree and the subjects you want to start with, choose Apply for entry into the degree and follow the steps. Your application is reviewed and sent to the university. If you are offered a place in the degree, you will be sent an email, asking you to log back into the Student Hub to accept the offer and finalise your loan.   

Have a question about your HELP loan or repayments? Head over to StudyAssist and meet Edy. She’s a fast and efficient chatbot waiting to answer all your HELP related queries.

Upfront payment

If you’re a postgraduate student or you’re studying single subjects, you don’t have to take out a loan—you can pay your fees straight away by credit card. We accept Visa and MasterCard. Just sign in to your Student Hub to make secure online credit card payments, or contact a student advisor. For Commonwealth supported place students, you’ll need to go through HECS-HELP and then, if you want to pay upfront, you can do this through your uni.