Study allowances

You might be eligible to receive money to help you with the costs of studying.

You might be eligible for some financial support during your course. The Australian Government uses Centrelink to make payments to eligible full-time students. Plus, we can help you out with travel costs for exams and on-campus activities if you meet our special requirements, and introduce you to scholarship opportunities.

Government allowances

Youth Allowance and Austudy

As a full-time student you could be eligible for the following government allowances:

  • Youth Allowance: you’ll be eligible for this payment if you’re a full-time student, aged 16 to 24, and you’re an Australian resident.
  • Austudy: you’ll be suitable for this is a payment if you’re studying full-time, aged 25 or more, and meet the residency requirements.

To be considered a full-time student, you’ll need to be enrolled in subjects which have a combined EFTSL of at least 0.250. This is normally two subjects—which generally require 20 to 24 hours of study each week. You’ll find each subject's EFTSL listed on its subject details page.

Check the Department of Human Services for more information about how study loads work.

Student Start-up Loan

If you’re eligible for Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY, you could also be entitled to a loan to help you with the extra costs of your online study. If you’re able to take out a Student Start-up Loan, you’ll repay it through the tax system when you’re earning over a certain amount.

To get more information, look up the Australian Government's Department of Human Services Student Start-up Loan.

More information

Travel subsidies

You’ve probably already realised that one of the great benefits of studying online is that you can study anywhere. But, there can be times when you need to attend an exam, on-campus placement or workshop.

We’re here to make sure that everyone has access to study, whatever their financial circumstances. That’s why we offer travel subsidies—they can help you meet the costs of compulsory travel during your studies. If you’re getting Centrelink benefits or you’re an Australian Health Care Card holder, it is worth finding out if you can get a travel subsidy.

Exams and attendance travel subsidy

You may be eligible for a $100 subsidy if you have to travel 100km or more from your home to attend:

  • your nearest exam venue, or
  • an on-campus placement, practicum, workshop or seminar which is compulsory for your undergraduate subject

We can give you $100 for each exam or on-campus event.

Travel subsidy applications

  • Download the Access and equity travel subsidy application form—you’ll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to complete it.
  • Fill out all sections of the form, including your signature.
  • Make a copy of your Centrelink letter confirming that you’re receiving benefits. Or, you can make a copy of both sides of your Health Care Card.
  • For exams: Make a copy of your confirmed OUA Exam Services timetable, dated after the deadline to change or nominate your exam venue according to Key dates. If you need help viewing your timetable, sign in to your Student Hub, look for your subjects on the dashboard, click MORE, and BOOK EXAM.
  • Send your application to

Travel subsidy eligibility

To be eligible for a travel subsidy, you’ll have to be:

  • An Australian citizen or an Australian Humanitarian visa holder living and travelling in Australia.
  • Enrolled as a student in the subject that requires travel at the time you apply for the subsidy.
  • In possession of proof of Centrelink benefits, or the holder of an Australian Health Care Card.
  • Ready to provide supporting documentation as requested on the application form.

If we approve your application, the funds will be forwarded to you after the census date of the study term of travel. One thing to remember—a subsidy can’t be offered for subjects that you’ve already completed.

You may also be able to apply in cases where:

  • There are factors other than distance that make it difficult for you to access the location.
  • You don't have a Centrelink letter or Health Care Card, but you have other evidence to show you're on a low income.


We want to make education accessible for everyone. That’s where scholarships come in. If you’re selected, a scholarship—delivered through organisations we partner with—can help to cover the costs of your study, so you can achieve your dreams.

Kids Under Cover Scholarship

Delivered through not-for-profit organisation Kids Under Cover, this scholarship helps young people at risk of experiencing homelessness study through Open Universities Australia. It exists to ensure that anyone can transform their lives through education.

Two types of Kids Under Cover Scholarships are available:

  • The Enable Program
    If you haven’t had the opportunity to study at a level that prepares you for university, this program is suited to you.
  • The Pathway Program
    If you have studied at a level that has prepared you for a degree, this program is suited to you.

For more information, contact Kids Under Cover.

University scholarships

You may be eligible for a scholarship offered by the university you’re studying with through OUA. Depending on the scholarship you apply for, your eligibility will be based on your chosen study area, hardships you may have experienced, your background, or your achievements so far. 

Scholarships are offered independently of OUA, by each university. For this reason, it’s important that you read your university’s application criteria carefully to make sure you’re eligible.

Select your university to find out more:

We're here to guide you there

Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.