Designer (Graphic and Web) and Illustrator
Graphic and Web Designers use a variety of software and techniques to create digital or visual communications for media such as corporate branding, logo design, advertisements, web design, product packaging, magazines, TV commercials, etc. They should have strong artistic and technical abilities and be able to understand client and stakeholder aspirations for designs.
Duties and tasks
- Combine words, images and symbols to create visual representations of concepts, products and messages
- Design drawings, sketches or visual images of designs for clients to review
- Direct creation of design production in selected media, working with necessary staff such as technicians, developers, printers and programmers
- Evaluate client requests and offer design ideas that meet all aspects of clients desires; modify designs according to clients wishes
- Plan budget and working schedules for design creation and production
- Recommend best materials and media for publication and display according to projected outcome of design or website
- Use a variety of software programmes and functions including page layout, typography and visual arts to produce technical and aesthetically pleasing designs
- Artistic Abilities
- Critical Thinking
- Organisation Skills
- Visual Communication Skills
Working conditionsGraphic and Web Designers usually work in offices, workshops or design studios using a variety of software equipment. They typically work regular Monday to Friday hours, but may need to work evenings or weekends in order to meet deadlines. Designers may need to travel to meet with clients or potential buyers.
Professional associations / Industry informationThe Australian Computer Society (ACS) The Australian Computer Society (ACS) is the association for Australias information and communications technology (ICT) profession.
The Australian Graphic Design Association (AGDA) The Australian Graphic Design Association (AGDA) is the peak national organisation for professional graphic designers. It was founded in 1988 to facilitate the advancement of the graphic design profession in Australia.
The Design Institute of Australia (DIA) The Design Institute of Australia (DIA) is Australias professional membership body for designers and design businesses.
Related jobs and job titles
- Art Director
- Games Developer
- Information Technology Administrator
- Interior Designer
- Multimedia Developer
- Programmer (Information Technology)
- Textile Designer
- Visual Merchandiser
- Web Site Administrator