Introduction to 3D Graphics and Animation
Become a magician of the moving image as you learn to create, manipulate and transform visual and audio. Understand bitmap and vector graphics, 2D and 3D geometry, manipulation of 3D graphics, processing computer graphics, shading and more.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Aug 2019
This research-based university in Perth has a strong interdisciplinary focus and a reputation for outstanding teaching and ground-breaking research. With more than 22,000 students and 2,000 staff from over 90 countries, and campuses in Dubai and Singapore, Murdoch embraces free thinking, shared ideas and knowledge to make a difference, and Open Universities Australia is certainly part of that.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- understand the various applications of 3D Computer Graphics Imagery (CGI) within the “visual communications” industry
- understand the Cartesian coordinate system
- understand and be able to use 2D & 3D primitive objects
- understand and be able to use sub-objects such as vertex, edge, face, and polygon
- understand what polygonal modelling is, and be able to use it creatively
- understand the basics of 2D spline objects and the manipulation of spline vertices (corner, smooth, Bezier, Bezier-Corner), and be able to use them
- understand the basics of materials and texture maps, and use them creatively
- be familiar with the basics of 3D modelling (during tutorials/labs)
- understand the basic principles and able to create animation; animate objects, lights, cameras and materials
- presentation skills.
- Introduction to tools and techniques.
- Understanding of bitmap and vector graphics.
- Processing computer graphics.
- 2D and 3D geometry.
- Nature of 3D graphics.
- Use of vectors and matrices in graphics.
- Geometric manipulation of 3D graphics.
- Shading; animation; audio; video
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
This subject introduces the fundamentals of computer graphics, animation, audio and video, which are essential for multimedia and digital content development such as computer and video games. Tools and techniques used for the creation, manipulation and transformation of visual and audio information are also introduced. Topics include: understanding of bitmap and vector graphics; processing computer graphics; 2D and 3D geometry; nature of 3D graphics; use of vectors and matrices in graphics; geometric manipulation of 3D graphics; shading; animation; audio; video.
- Major Assignment Part 1 (25%)
- Major Assignment Part 2 (30%)
- Laboratory work (20%)
- Presentation of assignment (20%)
- Major Assignment Proposal (5%)
Textbook information is pending.