How to become an illustrator
Pathways to this career
- Complete a recognised qualification in design. Other areas of study include animation, graphic design, digital media, new media design, fine arts, creative arts, visual arts or visual communication.
- Create and maintain a portfolio showcasing your previous work, mock projects and illustration style. Prospective employers will use this to help them decide if you are the right fit for the job.
- Practice makes perfect. Get as much experience as you can!
What does an illustrator do?
Duties and tasks
- Combine images and symbols to create visual representations of concepts, products, stories and ideas.
- Create and design original illustrations for a variety of media and industries including video games, film or television storyboards, magazine, book covers and children's story illustrations.
- Create drawings, sketches, painting, photography or visual images of designs for clients to review, and then create polished illustrations.
- Ensure that creation of illustration production in selected media accurately depicts desired illustration, working with necessary staff such as technicians, developers, and printers.
- Use a variety of software programmes and tools to create original and creative illustrations to produce technical and aesthetically pleasing illustrations.
- Australian Association of Architectural Illustrators
- Australian Graphic Design Association
- The Design Institute of Australia (DIA)
Discover related courses
- Bachelor of Arts (Visual Culture)
- Bachelor of Arts (Fine Art) (Visual Culture)
- Bachelor of Arts (Digital and Social Media) (Visual Culture)
- Bachelor of Arts (Digital Experience and Interaction Design) (Visual Culture)
- Bachelor of Arts (Professional Writing and Publishing) (Visual Culture)
- Undergraduate Certificate in Art History
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Professional Writing and Publishing)
- Bachelor of Arts (Digital and Social Media)
Step up your career with these resources
Do you need a masters to work in a library?
Librarians play an important role in keeping information accessible and helping people find what they need. But what qualifications do you actually need to become a librarian in Australia?
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.