How to become an interior designer
What does an interior designer do?Interior designers write specifications to create functional and aesthetically pleasing interior environments. They apply their solid understanding of how spaces function. They use their flare for design and decoration. Ultimately, the interiors they design enhance work efficiency and psychological well-being.
Duties and tasks
- Create drawings, sketches or visual images of designs for clients to review.
- Manage design production including working with necessary staff such as carpenters, furniture suppliers, architects, and decorators to construct the interior space.
- Plan budgets and working schedules for overall interior production.
- Recommend materials to create and enhance interior environments according to clients' desired atmosphere of living or work space.
- Apply strong knowledge of spatial organisation, colour schemes, patterns, and material options to create interior designs.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest design concepts and popular layouts.
- Understand the relation between technical and visual applications of furniture, lighting, and layout of spaces to create the ideal balance between functionality and appearance.
- Work with clients to interpret their requests and offer design ideas, meeting clients' desires including overall effect and budget.
Discover related degrees
Bachelor of Applied Science (Interior Architecture)
- Level Four Subjects
- Level Four Subjects - Honours Stream
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
What is a mental health nurse and what do they do?
Australia desperately needs more mental health nurses to support people with mental illness. Read on to find out what this interesting nursing specialty is all about.
What is an occupational therapist and what do they do?
Occupational therapists play a crucial role in healthcare. But what exactly do they do, and how can you follow this rewarding career path? Let’s find out.
Dietitian vs nutritionist in Australia: What’s the difference?
Want to help people make healthier food choices? Get to know the nutrition experts who guide us on everything from macros to calories for a living.