How to become a policy & planning manager
What does a policy and planning manager do?Policy and planning managers research, plan and direct strategic policy and planning advice for organisations. They should have a superior understanding of organisational needs, relevant legislative materials and long-term plans for the organisation.
Duties and tasks
- Develop strategies for implementing activity and creating accountability.
- Direct and assist in developing policy documents and reports.
- Facilitate negotiations on behalf of the organisation, as well as at events and seminars to discourse about policy issues.
- Implement and oversee policy research and analysis programs.
- Implement policies and practices, assigning employees to associated tasks.
- Serve as a reference and expert in the field on policy, program and legislative matters, working with government officials and stakeholders.
- Work with other Managers and Board Members to outline goals and objectives and develop strategic plans, programs and policies to meet those objectives.
- Australian Institute of Management
- Planning Institute of Australia
- The Financial Planning Association of Australia
- Policy advisor
- Policy analyst
- Political scientist
- Project support officer
- Project and program administrator
- Research officer
- Research and development manager
- University lecturer
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.