How to become a university lecturer & tutor
Impart your knowledge and research in your field of expertise to students.
What does a university lecturer & tutor do?
Duties and tasks
- Create and grade course assignments, essays and exams.
- Design research projects to further the advancement of particular field.
- Lead or assist in particular courses, providing lectures, tutorials and lab sessions and helping students to understand course material.
- Oversee the work of postgraduates and new lecturers, research assistants and tutorial staff.
- Partake in faculty and professional committees and boards.
- Participate in faculty and departmental meetings and seminars.
- Plan and prepare course curriculum and degree requirements in field of study.
- Australian Teacher Education Association (ATEA)
- Department of Education, Skills & Employment
- The Australian Literacy Educators Association
Discover education degrees
- Applied Learning
- Inclusive Education
- Non-Specialisation stream
Discover education subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.