How to become a university lecturer & tutor
What does a university lecturer & tutor do?
Duties and tasks
- Create and grade course assignments, essays and exams.
- Design research projects to further the advancement of particular field.
- Lead or assist in particular courses, providing lectures, tutorials and lab sessions and helping students to understand course material.
- Oversee the work of postgraduates and new lecturers, research assistants and tutorial staff.
- Partake in faculty and professional committees and boards.
- Participate in faculty and departmental meetings and seminars.
- Plan and prepare course curriculum and degree requirements in field of study.
- Australian Teacher Education Association (ATEA)
- Department of Education, Skills & Employment
- The Australian Literacy Educators Association
Discover related degrees
Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education)
- The Arts Education Major (Visual Arts)
- English Education Major
- HASS (Geography) Education Major
Discover related subjects
Child Development for Educators
Teaching and Learning in the Digital World
Step up your career with these resources
Upskilling or reskilling now will give you more career options
Thanks to the pandemic, new technologies and calls for social progress, the world of work is changing. How will you stay ahead in your industry?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised the ease of online study, Edward's goals went from squeezing through with a 'pass', to achieving excellent marks.
The checklist to prepare your career for the 2020s
With the turn of the decade, and today's speedy technology advances, here's how employees can approach the next 10 years in the workforce feeling prepared, not panicked.