Seven years ago, Nikki decided to make the move from the Philippines to Sydney, to broaden her opportunities, and challenge herself in a new environment. With a psychology degree to her name, Nikki went back into study – this time, focusing her energy on early childhood education. As a naturally warm and patient person, Nikki was a great fit, and felt her ambition grow stronger. To give herself the strongest possible foundation, Nikki enrolled in Macquarie University’s Master of Teaching (Birth to 5 years), online through Open Universities Australia.
Nikki hits the books at night, while during the day, she works as a Room Leader at KU Children’s Services. She’s in charge of a small group of children, guiding them as they explore new things, and connect with others around them. “The relationships that I’m able to form with the children, and seeing the world from their perspective – it helps me appreciate life more”. What Nikki loves about studying while working is that she can apply what she’s learning immediately, and witness how it works in a real setting. She’s often learned a technique during a night of study, then tried it out the very next morning on the children under her care.
“The relationships that I’m able to form with the children, and seeing the world from their perspective – it helps me appreciate life more”
Nearing the finish line of her degree, Nikki is soon to be a fully qualified professional, and can’t wait to be a positive influence on Sydney’s youngest and most impressionable minds.
Find yourself in a meaningful role
There are so many reasons to pursue meaningful work – the work hours fly by faster, you’re more motivated to get out of bed, and you come home feeling more satisfied. Making a career change is easy through OUA – whether it’s a small shift, or a total 180°.
- Find the right course for you – We can guide you in your selection from over 170 degrees, and 1300 subjects, from leading Australian unis.
- Start studying, regardless of history – We offer single undergraduate subjects from full degrees without any entry requirements.
- Gain credit towards your degree – Apply for credit for past study, or your work experience, and finish faster.
- Graduate with a degree from a leading uni – Study through us, but graduate with exactly the same university degree as on-campus students.
- Feel supported from start to finish – Our Student Advisors can guide you in the right direction and help with your enrolment.
To express your interest in any of the courses on offer through OUA – fill out the form on this page, and a friendly student advisor will get in contact. Otherwise, head over to our website to browse over 170 degrees and 1300 subjects from leading Australian universities.
Master of Education – Curtin