Essentials of Chemistry
Start a chain reaction with a grounding in chemistry designed to get you ready for further study. Perfect for students without a background in chemistry,you'll cover general chemistry, organic chemistry and physical chemistry, with a real-world focus.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Nov 2019
- 02 Mar 2020
- 01 Jun 2020
- 31 Aug 2020
- 30 Nov 2020
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 33,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
Upon successful completion of this subject you should be able to:
- communicate (including read and write) in the language of chemistry; interpreting and using chemical symbols, conventions and nomenclature
- apply concepts of chemical structure to explain the properties of matter, exploit different types of chemical reactions to create new molecules, and evaluate the extent to which reactions may occur
- employ the scientific method that supports evidence-based practice
- manipulate quantitative relationships to solve chemistry problems.
Module 1: General Chemistry (6 weeks)
Covers matter, atoms, the periodic table, chemical bonding, naming compounds, molecular geometry, atomic masses, the mole and chemical reactions.
Module 2: Organic Chemistry (3 weeks)
Covers alkanes, alkenes, alkynes and arenes, functional groups and reaction types.
Module 3: Physical Chemistry (3 weeks)
Covers gases, energy in chemistry, chemical kinetics, equilibria, acids and bases.
- Introduction to Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Physical Principles of Chemistry
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Virtual Classroom
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- OtherDetails -
This subject is offered via Open Universities Australia. La Trobe University students can undertake this subject as part of a cross institutional enrolment under certain circumstances, and must seek approval from the Bachelor of Food and Nutrition course coordinator for eligibility. Due to the nature of the subject content and online delivery, enrolments are generally not permitted past the published OUA enrolment date for the study period.
Essentials of Chemistry is an introductory subject for students with minimal background or no previous study in chemistry. The subject introduces chemistry topics with a real-world focus to prepare students for further studies in chemistry and related fields of science. The subject will introduce and reinforce chemistry concepts, knowledge and skills in chemistry to enable students to apply chemical principles and practice during their studies and in future employment.
- Module Assessment Quizzes (1600 word equiv) (40%)
- Scenario-based Problems (1200 word equiv) (30%)
- Practical Exercises (1000 word equiv) (25%)
- Topic discussions (200 word equiv) (5%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.