- Approaches to organisational communication (Classical approaches; Systems and cultural approaches)
- Communication strategies (Human relations and human resource approaches; Applying theory to employing staff)
- Decisions, conflict and emotion (Decision making processes; Conflict; Emotion within organisations)
- Diversity management; technology, globalisation and communication (Communication, technology; Globalisation, org. communication; global work envron.)
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Leacture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
- Online Assessment
You cannot enrol in this unit if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this unit:
Access to scholarly databases. Proficiency in reading and writing English.
- OtherDetails -
- Additional materials
This subject is designed to give you a substantive understanding of major theories, concepts and principles and current issues of organisational communication with a focus on practical application in the workplace environment. You will develop an understanding of how an organisation’s culture – its ethos, mission, personnel, stakeholders and product – shape its organisational practice.
The subject emphasises organisational culture and networks, the politics of power, identity and diversity issues, negotiation strategies, ethical and legal issues for communication professionals. It will examine emergent and established communication campaign strategies relevant to the complex business and political environment.
- Assignment 1 - Report (50%)
- Assignment 2 - Online Discussion (20%)
- Assignment 3 - Essay (30%)
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a subject