Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
- Unit orientation; Professional Experience reflection; Introduction to Positive Learning Framework for Classroom Management
- Theories and models of classroom management; Behaviourist and Cognitive approaches
- Psychoeducational approaches
- Social justice approaches; Restorative practice and resilience
- Proactive strategies: Teacher Behaviour and connecting with students
- Developing safe, supportive and accountable learning environments
- Creating a personal learning management plan
- Re-engaging the disengaged learner
- Diverse needs of learners
- Engaging the stakeholders
- Teaching Performance Assessment: Analysing teaching practice
- Professional experience placement preparation
- Review and Reflection
- Standard Media
- Online assignment submission
- Embedded Multimedia
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Web links
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
- PlacementDetails - This subject includes a 3-week professional experience placement in a school. Placements are undertaken on a full-time basis in a continuous block.
- OtherDetails -
Please note that all relevant, valid working with children checks and clearances must be provided as requested prior to commencement of the placement.
This is the second in the suite of professional experience subjects and includes both a theory and a practical component (a placement in a school). This subject positions the educator within relationships and networks with a range of stakeholders. It focuses on the educator’s role in creating, leading and maintaining a positive learning framework; being accountable for creating safe, supportive learning environments for diverse groups of learners; and communicating effectively with stakeholders. Emphasis is placed on proactive teacher behaviour aimed at motivating and engaging all learners while meeting individual student needs, and supporting their wellbeing and developing agency. The subject will examine theories, policies and practices relating to classroom management and stewardship that includes managing challenging situations. The professional experience practical assessment is a 3 week full-time block placement intended to enable practical application of the knowledge and skills gained, along with providing further insights into the complexity of the teacher’s role. All required clearances to work with children must be obtained and valid, along with completing the mandatory reporting training, and meeting all other professional experience requirements. Both theory and practical components must be passed in order to pass the subject.
To view the Practicum Calendar, please see below:
EDP210, EDP227, EDP320 Placement Calendar 2019 (PDF, 25KB)
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Professional Task (50%)
- Positive Learning Plan (50%)
- Professional Experience Placement (Pass/Fail%)
Textbook information is pending.