Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Primary Professional Experience 1: Planning for Teaching
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Feb 2019
- 27 May 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- review progression on developing evidence against the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers in a prepared digital professional portfolio
- construct lesson plans which reflect an understanding of how students learn through the effective use of challenging learning goals, a range of teaching strategies, and diverse resources including digital technologies
- prepare a plan for learning and teaching with consideration of theoretical studies, contextual factors, and student needs
- apply and evaluate effective planning techniques and a range of learning and teaching strategies, to meet the diverse needs of students
- use effective communication skills, maintain student safety and meet ethical, legislative, administrative and organisational requirements in primary school settings.
- Unit orientation; effective teaching and communication
- Digital professional portfolio Reflective and responsive practices
- The cycle of learning and teaching
- Lesson planning
- Learning and teaching strategies
- Grouping and group work
- Planning for all students needs
- Building relationships
- Teaching Performance Assessment: Planning
- Professional experience placement preparation
- Review and Reflection
- Standard Media
- Online assignment submission
- Web links
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
- PlacementDetails - This subject includes a 2-week professional experience placement in a school. Placements are undertaken on a full-time basis in a continuous block.
This is the first in the suite of professional experience subjects and includes both a theory and a practical component (a placement in a school). The subject explores philosophies and theories related to teaching and then introduces the nature and role of effective planning for a diverse groups of learners. Specific attention is given to lesson planning that includes selecting objectives and appropriate teaching, learning, assessment strategies and resources. The subject also addresses professional responsibilities, effective communication and reflective practices to support learning. The professional experience practical assessment is a 2 week full-time block placement intended to enable practical application of the knowledge and skills gained, along with providing students with insights into the complexity of the teacher’s role. All required clearances to work with children must be obtained and valid, and all other professional experience requirements met. Both theory and practical components must be passed in order to pass the subject.
To view the Practicum Calendar, please see below:
EDP210, EDP227, EDP320 Placement Calendar 2019 (PDF, 25KB)
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Lesson Plans (50%)
- Professional Task Learning and Teaching Plans (50%)
- Professional Experience Placement (Pass/Fail%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.