Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Information Services Professional Practicum
Extend your real-world information services experience even further with a three-week placement. Meet the challenges of practicing records management. Complement your practicum by studying managerial expectations in a professional setting
Your upfront cost: $0
Online & on-campus
- 29 Aug 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- contextualise professional and managerial expectation of information services
- synthesise theories, principles and standards in information services through professional experience
- demonstrate understanding of professional and managerial requirements for information professionals by successfully completing practicum placements
- demonstrate understanding of the required interpersonal skills and qualities in an information service
- create a digital object that demonstrates understanding of professional technology, standards and practice in information services.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
- Placement requirements - This subject is a professional experience in an information service environment through a three-week full-time practicum placement organised by the Department of Information Studies.
This subject is a professional experience in an information service environment through a three-week full-time practicum placement, organised by the Department of Information Studies. Degreework includes consideration and discussion of practice in records, archives and library services.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Exercise (50%)
- Practical (Pass/Fail%)
- Digital Object Creation (50%)
Current study term: 27 Feb 22 to 29 May 22
Textbooks are not required.
Next study term: 28 Aug 22 to 27 Nov 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.