How to become a bookkeeper
Pathways to this career
- Complete a Certificate IV or a Diploma in Accounting and score an entry level role with your vocational bookkeeping course.
- Study the relevant GST and Business Activity units as part of your Certificate IV. As an alternative. you may have the option to tick these off under the supervision of a registered BAS agent.
- To register as a BAS agent yourself, apply to the Tax Practitioners Board. This enables you to charge a fee for conducting BAS services.
What does a bookkeeper do?Bookkeepers maintain and evaluate records of financial transactions in account books and computerised accounting systems.
Duties and tasks
- Calculate and dispense employee payroll and superannuation
- Checked balances in ledgers and various transaction accounts
- Create budget reports
- Handle accounts payable and receivable
- Manage financial records and balance accounts using a combination of computerised and manual systems
- Monitor transaction records and alert management of any anomalies
- Prepare invoices, financial statements and expenditure reports
Discover accounting courses online
Discover online accounting subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.