How to become a bookkeeper
Pathways to this career
- Complete a Certificate IV or a Diploma in Accounting and score an entry level role with your vocational bookkeeping course.
- Study the relevant GST and Business Activity units as part of your Certificate IV. As an alternative. you may have the option to tick these off under the supervision of a registered BAS agent.
- To register as a BAS agent yourself, apply to the Tax Practitioners Board. This enables you to charge a fee for conducting BAS services.
What does a bookkeeper do?Bookkeepers maintain and evaluate records of financial transactions in account books and computerised accounting systems.
Duties and tasks
- Calculate and dispense employee payroll and superannuation
- Checked balances in ledgers and various transaction accounts
- Create budget reports
- Handle accounts payable and receivable
- Manage financial records and balance accounts using a combination of computerised and manual systems
- Monitor transaction records and alert management of any anomalies
- Prepare invoices, financial statements and expenditure reports
Discover accounting courses online
Discover online accounting subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Do you need a masters to work in a library?
Librarians play an important role in keeping information accessible and helping people find what they need. But what qualifications do you actually need to become a librarian in Australia?
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.