How to become a financial dealer
Pathways to this career
- Complete an accredited undergraduate degree in finance, accounting, economics or business
- Already studied an undergraduate degree? Advance your new career as a financial dealer by completing a postgraduate finance degree
- Apply for a relevant licence from the from theAustralian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC). Once you prove your qualifications and experience, you'll be able to trade as a financial dealer.
What does a financial dealer do?Financial dealers buy and sell commodities and securities for profit under their own name. They monitor the financial marketplace and use their own capital for transactions. Because of constant market fluctuations and high-value transactions, finance dealers often contend with high-stress and high-risk situations.
Duties and tasks
- Make transactions in commodities and securities.
- Ensure all transactions meet the legal requirements.
- Monitor markets and stay up-to-date with trends.
- Interpret financial and market information.
- Prepare documents such as reports and statements.
- Australian Financial Markets Association
- Financial Planning Association of Australia
- The Financial Services Institute of Australasia
Discover online finance degrees
Discover online finance subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Do you need a masters to work in a library?
Librarians play an important role in keeping information accessible and helping people find what they need. But what qualifications do you actually need to become a librarian in Australia?
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.