How to become a financial dealer
Pathways to this career
- Complete an accredited undergraduate degree in finance, accounting, economics or business
- Already studied an undergraduate degree? Advance your new career as a financial dealer by completing a postgraduate finance degree
- Apply for a relevant licence from the from theAustralian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC). Once you prove your qualifications and experience, you'll be able to trade as a financial dealer.
What does a financial dealer do?Financial dealers buy and sell commodities and securities for profit under their own name. They monitor the financial marketplace and use their own capital for transactions. Because of constant market fluctuations and high-value transactions, finance dealers often contend with high-stress and high-risk situations.
Duties and tasks
- Make transactions in commodities and securities.
- Ensure all transactions meet the legal requirements.
- Monitor markets and stay up-to-date with trends.
- Interpret financial and market information.
- Prepare documents such as reports and statements.
- Australian Financial Markets Association
- Financial Planning Association of Australia
- The Financial Services Institute of Australasia
Step up your career with these resources
Upskilling or reskilling now will give you more career options
Thanks to the pandemic, new technologies and calls for social progress, the world of work is changing. How will you stay ahead in your industry?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised the ease of online study, Edward's goals went from squeezing through with a 'pass', to achieving excellent marks.
The checklist to prepare your career for the 2020s
With the turn of the decade, and today's speedy technology advances, here's how employees can approach the next 10 years in the workforce feeling prepared, not panicked.