How to become a financial dealer
Pathways to this career
- Complete an accredited undergraduate degree in finance, accounting, economics or business
- Already studied an undergraduate degree? Advance your new career as a financial dealer by completing a postgraduate finance degree
- Apply for a relevant licence from the from theAustralian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC). Once you prove your qualifications and experience, you'll be able to trade as a financial dealer.
What does a financial dealer do?Financial dealers buy and sell commodities and securities for profit under their own name. They monitor the financial marketplace and use their own capital for transactions. Because of constant market fluctuations and high-value transactions, finance dealers often contend with high-stress and high-risk situations.
Duties and tasks
- Make transactions in commodities and securities.
- Ensure all transactions meet the legal requirements.
- Monitor markets and stay up-to-date with trends.
- Interpret financial and market information.
- Prepare documents such as reports and statements.
- Australian Financial Markets Association
- Financial Planning Association of Australia
- The Financial Services Institute of Australasia
- Commodities trader
- Equities analyst
- Financial stockbroker
- Investment adviser
- Investment banker
- Market dealer
- Merchant banker
Discover online finance degrees
Discover online finance subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.