How to become a financial broker
Pathways to this career
- Complete a recognised degree in finance. This could include a Certificate, Diploma or Bachelor level qualification in a related field such as business, mortgage broking or finance.
- If you wish to practice as a mortgage broker, you must obtain an Australian Credit License (ACL).
- Consider joining industry associations such as the Finance Brokers Association of Australia (FBAA) to stay up to date with industry news and meet like-minded people.
What does a financial broker do?Financial Brokers work for a commission to research, evaluate and assist clients with financial opportunities. They manage large financial exchanges and stay on top of constant market fluctuations.
Duties and tasks
- Analyse clients' finances and budget and formulate a strategy to meet long-term goals.
- Ensure all transactions meet legal requirements.
- Listen to clients' goals and values, then research opportunities to meet those goals.
- Make transactions on behalf of clients via phone, internet, or in person.
- Monitor markets and stay up-to-date with trends.
- Prepare documents such as reports and statements.
- Equities analyst
- Financial dealer
- Financial planner
- Investment adviser
- Investment banker
- Merchant banker
- Mortgage broker
Discover online finance degrees
Discover online finance subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.