Master of Professional Accounting
Become an accredited accounting professional
Invest in yourself and become a globally in-demand accountant. Gain your MPA and graduate work ready and eligible for industry memberships including CPA Australia. If you’re a non-accounting graduate looking to enter the business world, start here!
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 11 Jun 23
- 08 Oct 23
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 22,000 students, UNE is an expert in online education.
Learn more about UNE.
Explore UNE courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
The Master of Professional Accounting aims to prepare students from non-accounting backgrounds to gain professional qualifications in accounting and to apply for Associate Membership with the Professional Accounting Organisations.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- demonstrate mastery of knowledge within the accounting discipline, that includes understanding of recent developments and ability to reflect critically on theory and to undertake professional work in accounting;
- identify complex problems in accounting and finance, collect relevant data, evaluate and synthesise a range of solutions and recommend the best course of action;
- demonstrate a current knowledge and understanding of research principles and methods as they apply to accounting;
- communicate effectively with both accounting and non-accounting professionals on accounting and finance issues in a coherent and sustained manner;
- demonstrate a proficiency with the researching, presentation and dissemination of information within and outside accounting;
- demonstrate application of knowledge and skills acquired within the accounting discipline with high level of creativity, initiative and personal autonomy; and
- plan and execute a substantial research-based project or capstone experience and/or piece of research.
The course is accredited by the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ) and CPA Australia. It meets the entry requirements of the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ), CPA Australia and the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA).
- Hold an AQF Level 7 Bachelor qualification;
- Hold a curent UNE AQF Level 8 Graduate Certificate in Accounting or equivalent; or
- For international students, hold an AQF Level 7 Bachelor qualification from an overseas institution.
*current refers to a qualification commenced and completed within the last ten years, subject to accrediting bodies' requirements, and Course Coordinator approval
English Proficiency Requirements
At least one of the following criteria must be met:
- English is the applicant's first language; or
- Satisfactory completion, within five years of the date of application for admission to UNE, of at least one year of full-time or equivalent full-time study at senior secondary, post-secondary or tertiary level in a country in which English is the primary official language or co-official language and in which English was the sole medium of instruction and assessment for the particular period of study claimed, resulting in an AQF award or an award recognised by the National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (NOOSR); or
- A pass grade or better in an English language subject at Australian Year 12 level or overseas equivalent; orAn IELTS (Academic) overall score of at least 6.0 with no sub-band less than 5.5; or equivalent TOEFL score of at least 213 in the computer-based test; or at least 79 in the internet-based test with no less than 22 in the written component; or a PTE Academic minimum overall score of 57 with no skill less than 50; or
- Satisfactory completion of the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program:
- at the University of New England English Language Centre; or
- an equivalent EAP program at an Australian university NEAS-accredited English Language Centre (subject to certification from the university concerned that satisfactory completion of that university's EAP program would entitle the applicant to be accepted into a comparable award-bearing program at that university); or
- at a non-university NEAS-accredited English Language Provider that has a formal agreement with UNE under which it provides an equivalent EAP Program; or
- a NEAS-accredited TAFE NSW EAP Program.
More detailed information regarding these requirements can be viewed here:
Domestic students admitted with an AQF Level 7 Bachelor are granted 24 credit points of Block Advanced Standing.
Domestic students admitted with the UNE AQF Level 8 Graduate Certificate in Accounting are granted 24 credit points of Block Advanced Standing and 24 credit points of Specified Advanced Standing.
For more information on Advanced Standing or Recognition of Prior Learning, please visit: UNE Advanced Standing.
The Master of Professional Accounting is the best way for graduates of undergraduate degrees in non-accounting disciplines to gain entry to the professional accounting bodies. The course is open to graduates but non graduates may enter following successful completion of the Graduate Certificate in Accounting. The course covers introductory as well as advanced units in financial and management accounting, finance, tax and company law and auditing. On successful completion, graduates can apply for Associate Membership of the Professional Accounting Bodies. The course is accredited by the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ) and CPA Australia. It meets the entry requirements of the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ), CPA Australia and the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA).
Recommended Study Pattern
To access the course rules and plans go to the UNE Course Handbook.
Domestic students admitted with an AQF Level 7 Bachelor are granted 24 credit points of Block Advanced Standing and complete twelve Core subjects.
Domestic students admitted with the UNE AQF Level 8 Graduate Certificate in Accounting are granted 24 credit points of Block Advanced Standing and 24 credit points of Specified Advanced Standing and complete eight Core subjects.
International students admitted with an overseas AQF Level 7 Bachelor complete twelve Core subjects and four Listed Units.
To qualify for the award a candidate must pass subjects to the value of 96 credit points including at least 36 credit points at 500-level.
Subject to Advanced Standing rules, candidates admitted with an AQF Level 7 Bachelor may be eligible to exit with the Graduate Certificate in Accounting on completion of AFM403, AFM406 and 12 credit points from AFM410, AFM505, AFM519, AFM531, AFM575, LSSU592, LSSU594 or QM461. Candidates who apply to discontinue their studies must apply for readmission and will be subject to the current course requirements of the Master of Professional Accounting. This may mean that they will not receive full recognition for their previous studies should the course structure have changed in response to University requirements.
Subject to Advanced Standing rules, candidates admitted may be eligible to exit with the Graduate Diploma in Accounting on completion of AFM403, AFM406, ECON406, LSSU594 and 24 credit points from: AFM410, AFM501, AFM505, AFM519, AFM531, AFM575, LSSU592 or QM461. Candidates who apply to discontinue their studies must apply for readmission and will be subject to the current course requirements of the Master of Professional Accounting. This may mean that they will not receive full recognition for their previous studies should the course structure have changed in response to University requirements.
Students must contact UNE with their intent to graduate.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.