How to become a stockbroker
Pathways to this career
- Study an accredited undergraduate degree in accounting, commerce, economics or finance.
- Already studied an undergraduate in a different field? Redirect your career or advance your existing skills with a postgraduate finance degree to qualify as a stock broker.
- Complete a licensing program from the Stock Brokers Association of Australia.
- Demonstrate your qualifications, experience and progression as a stockbroker to register with ASIC.
What does a stockbroker do?
Duties and tasks
- Buys, trades and sells orders based on research
- Daily studies and interprets data from a variety of resources to determine how a company is doing financially
- Maintains strong communication with clients regarding transactions and potential investment opportunities
- Manages peoples shares and makes financial decisions on their behalf
- Meets with clients to find out specifically their investment interest
- Promotes services to attract new customers
- Australian Financial Markets Association
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
- Finance Sector Union (National Office)
- Financial Services Institute of Australia
Discover related courses
Bachelor of Economics
- Year 3: Society and environment major
- Year 3: Industry, policy and business strategy major
Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)
- Level 2 Major Subjects
- Level 3 Major Subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Upskilling or reskilling now will give you more career options
Thanks to the pandemic, new technologies and calls for social progress, the world of work is changing. How will you stay ahead in your industry?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised the ease of online study, Edward's goals went from squeezing through with a 'pass', to achieving excellent marks.
The checklist to prepare your career for the 2020s
With the turn of the decade, and today's speedy technology advances, here's how employees can approach the next 10 years in the workforce feeling prepared, not panicked.