How to become a finance manager
Pathways to this career
- Complete an accredited undergraduate degree in finance, accounting, economics or business.
- If you've attained a similar undergraduate degree, you can focus your career pathway as a financial manager by completing a postgraduate degree in accounting or financial planning and management.
- Industry bodies like the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) and the Australian Finance Industry Association offer financial managers continued professional development and information on legislative updates in the finance industry.
What does a finance manager do?
Duties and tasks
- Assist in financial decisions made by the organisations management
- Know the financial legal requirements and ensure that they are met
- Manage employees in the financial division
- Monitor an organisations accounting system
- Prepare and communicate accurate financial reports, statements, and forecasts
- Seek ways to reduce costs and propose long-term goals
- Australian Finance Industry Association
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
- Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand
- CPA Australia
Discover related courses
Bachelor of Economics
- Year 3: Society and environment major
- Year 3: Industry, policy and business strategy major
Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)
- Level 2 Major Subjects
- Level 3 Major Subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Upskilling or reskilling now will give you more career options
Thanks to the pandemic, new technologies and calls for social progress, the world of work is changing. How will you stay ahead in your industry?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised the ease of online study, Edward's goals went from squeezing through with a 'pass', to achieving excellent marks.
The checklist to prepare your career for the 2020s
With the turn of the decade, and today's speedy technology advances, here's how employees can approach the next 10 years in the workforce feeling prepared, not panicked.