Master of Professional Accounting
Jump start your career in finance
Immerse yourself in the study of accounting. Learn standard practices, including taxation and auditing techniques, and the principles of business law. Graduates will have the knowledge needed for accreditation with professional accounting bodies.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
ECU has been ranked one of the world’s best young universities and Australia’s best public university for teaching quality. That quality extends to more than 6,000 students studying online. ECU offers the same quality of teaching to you, regardless of where you’re studying in the world. Their flexible study solutions include a huge range of online courses, recognising your need to juggle work, family or other commitments.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Graduates of the course will be equipped to work in a range of industries in Australia and abroad including, business, government and not-for-profit organisations in accounting, financial services and management positions. Management roles and activities undertaken by graduates include developing financial plans, conducting audits, advising company directors, shareholders and clients.
Possible future job titles: Director of Finance, Financial Controller and Support Manager, Tax Advisor, Senior Consultant, Accountant, Strategic Analyst, Chief Ratings Analyst, Global Investment Banker
Accredited by: Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ)
Accredited by: CPA Australia
Accredited by: Institute of Public Accountants (IPA)
Students completing this course can access Associate level membership of the Institute of Public Accountants.
All applicants are required to have an approved undergraduate degree in a discipline other than accounting from a recognised Australian institution. Alternatively applicants can have an approved undergraduate degree from a non-Australian institution recognised under NOOSR guidelines as equivalent to an Australian undergraduate degree.
Work and Life
Equivalent prior learning including at least five years relevant professional experience.
English Proficiency Requirements
English competency requirements may be satisfied through completion of one of the following:
- IELTS Academic Overall band minimum score of 6.5 (no individual band less than 6.0);
- Bachelor degree from a country specified on the English Proficiency Bands page;
- Successfully completed 0.375 EFTSL of study at postgraduate level or higher at an Australian higher education provider (or equivalent);
- Where accepted, equivalent prior learning, including at least five years relevant professional experience; or
- Other tests, courses or programs defined on the English Proficiency Bands page.
Students will need to graduate to be eligible to register with the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand. Registration with the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand is required to practice in the profession.
If you're applying for a course and have previous study or professional experience, you may be eligible for what we call 'advanced standing'.
For more information and to apply please go to https://www.ecu.edu.au/future-students/course-entry/advanced-standing
This coursework Masters provides an opportunity for graduates whose first degree is in a discipline other than accounting, to undertake major studies in accounting and law.
This course will lead to the acquisition of accounting skills and knowledge, and fulfilment of the entry requirements of the accounting professional bodies.
Students are required to complete twelve units:
- ACC6010 Accounting Concepts and Applications
- ECF6102 Quantitative Skills for Business
- LAW6501 Principles of Contract and Corporate Law in Business
- ACC6015 Corporate Accounting and Reporting
- ACC6020 Accounting for Managerial Planning and Control
- ECF6110 Business Finance
- ECF6105 Economic Analysis for Business
- ACC6025 Accounting Theory, Research and Practice
- LAW6300 Principles of Taxation Law
- ACC6030 Auditing and Assurance Services
- ACC6035 Contemporary Issues in Sustainability Accounting
- ACC6040 Integrated Accounting Projects