Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Secondary Professional Experience 1: Planning
A 2-week professional placement to enable you to apply your knowledge and gain insights into the complexity of a teacher’s role. Evaluate the way practising teachers plan learning experiences and employ pedagogical strategies to engage learners.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Apply for 2022
Online & on-campus
- 30 May 2022
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply knowledge of the Graduate Teacher Standards to establish initial content for a digital professional portfolio; and identify and adopt a reflective practice model to guide its ongoing development
- create lesson plans which reflect an understanding of how students learn through the effective use of challenging learning goals, a range of teaching strategies, and diverse resources including digital technologies in a major teaching area
- develop a plan for learning and teaching with consideration of theoretical studies, contextual factors, and student needs
- demonstrate and evaluate effective planning techniques and a range of learning and teaching strategies, to meet the diverse needs of students
- employ effective communication skills, maintain student safety and meet ethical, legislative, administrative and organisational requirements in secondary school settings.
- Teachers professional practice
- The teaching and learning cycle
- Curriculum development and levels of planning
- Lesson Planning - Part A
- Lesson Planning - Part B
- Pedagogical practices
- Teaching and learning strategies
- Catering for all students
- Assessment, evaluating and reporting
- Building positive relationships and classroom management
- Professional Experience Placement
- Reflection and review
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or enrol in the following subject(s) to study at the same time or prior to this subject:
- Placement requirements - The fieldwork for this unit includes a 10-day professional experience placement in a school. Placements are undertaken on a full-time basis in a continuous block at the specified time.
- Other requirements -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative, access to video creation and editing software.
This is the first in the suite of professional experience subjects and includes both a theory and a practical component (a placement in a school). The subject explores philosophies and theories related to teaching and then introduces the nature and role of effective planning for a diverse groups of learners. Specific attention is given to lesson planning that includes selecting objectives and appropriate teaching, learning, assessment strategies and resources. The subject also addresses professional responsibilities, effective communication and reflective practices to support learning. The professional experience practical assessment is a 2 week full-time block placement intended to enable practical application of the knowledge and skills gained, along with providing students with insights into the complexity of the teacher’s role. All required clearances to work with children must be obtained and valid, and all other professional experience requirements met. Both theory and practical components must be passed in order to pass the subject.
To view the Professional Experience Calendar, please see below:
2020 Master of Teaching (Secondary) ProfExp Calendar (PDF, 116Kb)
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Lesson Plans (50%)
- Professional Task (50%)
- Professional Experience Placement (0%)
Current study term: 29 May 22 to 28 Aug 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.