Master of Professional Accounting
Graduates who successfully satisfy the requirements of this degree should be able to:
- Research, critique and integrate advanced technical, specialist and theoretical knowledge with recent developments in commerce;
- Utilise clear and concise oral and written communication skills to justify business advice and ideas in diverse collaborative contexts involving both accountants and non-accountants;
- Anticipate and solve complex problems and through this process demonstrate information literacy, judgement and the ability to apply theoretical and technical knowledge;
- Apply interpersonal and collaborative skills when making decisions, and working with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Seek and reflect on feedback to improve personal, professional and ethical conduct and initiate learning opportunities for self and others;
- Reflect on issues of social responsibility and sustainability in the business context.
This degree offers participants from different academic and experiential backgrounds the opportunity to specialise in accounting for professional recognition purposes. Accounting is often cited as the language of business. People with accounting skills are in high demand in the business and corporate world embracing areas such as finance, marketing, entrepreneurship, banking and information systems, and such skills are increasingly important to groups performing an overview function such as directors.
Our graduates have exceptional career outcomes. 90% of our postgraduate business and management students find full-time employment within 4 months of graduating (Source: 2017 Graduate Outcomes Survey).
Students with a recognised undergraduate or masters degree or approved graduate certificate who complete this degree are eligible for membership of CPA Australia, Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand and the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA). This degree is accredited with the professional accounting bodies in Australia.
For admission to this degree you need to have:
- the equivalent of an undergraduate or masters degree in a non-accounting degree (international applications are subject to assessment for equivalency), or;
- a four subject Graduate Certificate in Accounting, or equivalent, from an approved tertiary institution
Work and Life
Applicants may also be eligible for this degree by showing approved relevant work experience or other special circumstances (e.g. post secondary qualifications) as approved by the dean or delegated authority.
English Proficiency Requirements
For students who are not native English speakers, an IELTS score with an overall Band of 6 and no band less than 6; or a TOEFL (iBT) overall score of 72 (no individual skill must be lower than: Reading 16; Listening 16; Speaking 18; and, Writing 22) or a PTE Academic overall score of 50 with no score lower than 50, or provide evidence that you have studied for 2 years full-time with English as the sole medium of instruction and examination. These tests must not be more than 24 months old.
If you are a national of, and are currently residing in a country where English is the official language, and have completed your highest level of studies (senior secondary or tertiary) in that country, you are exempt from the above two year validity period. The University of Tasmania will recognise your previous studies as meeting the English language entry requirement.
Advanced Standing is the recognition of prior studies, from either another institution or another degree at this University, that may count towards the requirements for the degree you are applying for at the University of Tasmania. For more information visit the UTAS website.
This degree was designed for people without an accounting qualification looking to get into the field, or those who need to up-skill to meet professional accounting requirements. The University of Tasmania is registered with CPA Australia as a CPA Program tuition provider. Students who successfully complete the first eight subjects of the Master of Professional Accounting are able to apply for associate membership with CPA Australia. Being a CPA is internationally-recognised as a mark of high professional competence.