Graduate Diploma of Professional Accounting
Take your first step towards life as an accredited accountant
This pathway course is perfect for students who don't have a background in accounting. You'll learn fundamentals of accounting, from accounting systems to financial management, so that you can enrol in further study and eventually become accredited.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 25 Jun 23
Australia’s fourth oldest university, the University of Tasmania, is highly regarded internationally for teaching and academic excellence. The university offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees and more than 50 postgraduate programs across a range of disciplines. The university offers students a diverse range of opportunities, the chance to learn from leading experts, and excellent preparation for their future careers.
Learn more about UTAS.
Explore UTAS courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Critically evaluate strategies and make high-level judgments relating to professional accounting practice, while applying a sustainable business model lens.
- Justify business ideas in various contexts using effective oral and written communication techniques with both accounting and non-accounting professionals.
- Research and analyse business performance and impacts to make recommendations to decision makers.
- Apply collaborative, cooperative and teamwork skills in team settings to justify business advice.
- Seek and engage with feedback to reflect on business advice and for professional improvement.
The subjects in this course form part of the Master of Professional Accounting (MPA) and, once the MPA is completed, and depending on the qualifications of the applicant on entry, it is the first part of a pathway for students to qualify for membership of Professional Accounting bodies, including CPA Australia and Chartered Accountants of Australia and New Zealand. Students are then able to pursue professional year studies with these bodies.
A completed undergraduate or postgraduate course in any discipline at Bachelor level (AQF level 7) or higher (or equivalent*).
*An equivalent qualification from an overseas institution as assessed by the University.
Work and Life
Qualifications, relevant work experience or other special circumstances, as approved by the Executive Dean or delegated authority. Refer all applications to UTAS.
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
The Graduate Diploma of Professional Accounting is designed to transition people from an existing area of expertise into a career in the accounting profession. For people with existing business-related qualifications it builds on existing business knowledge to develop a focus on accounting. The course is also suited for students with non-business backgrounds looking to commence a career in the accounting profession.
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended:
Completion of 8 core subjects from the schedule below:
- TAS-BEA603 Statistical and Economic Analysis for Decision Making
- TAS-BFA503 Principles of Financial Management
- TAS-BFA507 Accounting and Accountability for Decision Making
- TAS-BFA601 Business and Corporate Law in Practice
- TAS-BFA605 Contemporary Financial Accounting and Reporting
- TAS-BFA612 Management Decision Making and Strategy
- TAS-BFA714 Australian Tax Law and Practice
- TAS-BFA746 Pathway to Accounting and Finance Careers
Satisfactory completion of 8 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 1-3 years from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.