Economics for Management
Your upfront cost: $0
Online and other materials
Subjects may require attendance
- 29 Jun 2020
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate a professional understanding of the microeconomic environments they are working in;
- review, analyse and consolidate information to report to employers on microeconomic developments in their working environments;
- exhibit an expert understanding of the macroeconomic environments domestically and internationally; and
- demonstrate a professional understanding of the implications of international and domestic macroeconomic developments and provide a clear and coherent report to employers.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- EquipmentDetails - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- SoftwareDetails - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- TravelDetails - Travel may be required to attend the Final Examination for this subject.
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
This subject introduces economic concepts and principles which are useful in understanding the general economic environment within which businesses and other organisations operate. Microeconomics examines how consumers and firms make decisions and how they interact with each other in markets. Topics covered include supply and demand, consumer and firm behaviour, price determination and the operation of markets, situations of market failure, and the impact and role of government on the economy.
Macroeconomics studies the entire economy and its wellbeing. Macroeconomics looks at the effect of factors such as inflation, exchange rates, interest rates and trade on the well being and stability of the economy.
Calculations, interpretations of results and problem solving: 20%; LOs 1, 2 Written Assessment: 2,000 words; 20%; LOs 2, 3 Final Examination: 60%; LOs 1-4. Students must obtain at least 50% in the examination (and at least 50% overall) to receive a pass or better in the unit. UNE manages supervised exams associated with your UNE subjects. Prior to census date, UNE releases exam timetables. They’ll email important exam information directly to your UNE email address.
- Calculations (20%%)
- Written Assessment (20%%)
- Final Examination (60%%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.