Graduate Diploma of Extended Care Paramedicine
For leadership and greater responsibility in extended care paramedicine
Advanced theoretical and practical knowledge for paramedics pursuing leadership roles or complete autonomy. Deliver quality care to the community bolstered by your specialised knowledge in advanced obstetrics and paediatrics.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
ECU is ranked one of the world’s best young universities and Australia’s best public university for teaching quality. That quality extends to more than 30,000 students, many studying online through Open Universities Australia. ECU offers the same quality of teaching to you, regardless of where you’re studying in the world. Their flexible study solutions include a huge range of online courses, recognising your need to juggle work, family or other commitments.
Learn more about ECU.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the end of the program, students of the Graduate Diploma of Extended Care Paramedicine can:
- apply cognitive, technical and creative skills to investigate, evaluate and synthesise complex ideas, concepts and theories in authentic extended care Paramedicine contexts
- communicate complex medical and paramedical knowledge, research principles and methods to demonstrate an advanced level of extended care Paramedicine
- use high level self-management skills to initiate, appraise and operate in complex and dynamic extended care Paramedicine professional environments.
Graduates of this program will be well-placed to take on the clinical leadership challenges of Paramedicine.
Possible future job titles: Paramedic Practitioner, Paramedic, Extended Care Paramedic, Advanced Care Paramedic, Community Paramedic
The following course-specific admission requirements are mandatory and must be satisfied by all applicants.
All applicants are required to have a Bachelor’s degree in Paramedicine, or have completed a Graduate Certificate of Extended Care Paramedicine, with equivalents considered. Alternatively applicants can have equivalent prior learning including at least five years appropriate professional experience, or AHPRA Registration (Australia) or equivalent from HCPC (UK) or Paramedic Council (NZ), with equivalents considered.
Work and Life
Alternatively applicants can have equivalent prior learning including at least five years appropriate professional experience, or AHPRA Registration (Australia) or equivalent from HCPC (UK) or Paramedic Council (NZ), with equivalents considered.
English Proficiency Requirements
English competency requirements may be satisfied through completion of one of the following:
- IELTS Academic Overall band minimum score of 6.5 (no individual band less than 6.0);
- Bachelor degree from a country specified on the English Proficiency Bands page;
- Successfully completed 0.375 EFTSL of study at postgraduate level or higher at an Australian higher education provider (or equivalent);
- Where accepted, equivalent prior learning, including at least five years relevant professional experience; or
- Other tests, courses or programs defined on the English Proficiency Bands page under band 4.
If you're applying for a course and have previous study or professional work experience, you may be eligible for Credit and Recognition of Prior Learning (CRPL).
For more information and to apply please go to https://www.ecu.edu.au/future-students/course-entry/credit-and-recognition-of-prior-learning
This course is designed to provide the paramedic with the necessary knowledge and skills for a career as a team leader or single responder in Extended Care Paramedicine.
The course focuses on the clinical issues directly related to practice, and develops a greater depth of understanding to enhance clinical decision-making and critical thinking. Students will learn advanced-level clinical knowledge to apply to their daily paramedical practice, while at the same time learning advanced skills in evidence-based practice.
The combination of advanced clinical knowledge and applied research knowledge and skills provides students with the ability to continuously improve their own clinical practice, as well as impact on the organisation they are employed by and the broader Paramedicine community.