How to become a personal assistant
What does a personal assistant do?PAs provide admin and secretarial services to senior staff. They can work in high-pressure environments across all industries. As trusted employees, personal assistants might also be called on to help with personal tasks because they work closely with their managers and excel at organisation.
Duties and tasks
- Handle day-to-day activities of senior staff, including meetings, phone calls, e-mails, and appointments.
- Deal with stationary orders, taking notes, and managing accounts.
- Brief senior staff on information in correspondence.
- Assist with personal matters including travel booking and childcare.
- Accompany senior staff on business trips and assist with bookings, transfers, and refreshments.
- Administrative assistant
- Inventory and supply officer
- Office manager
- Office professional
- Project support officer
Discover online business administration degrees
Discover online business administration subjects
- Bachelor of Business (Business Analytics)
- Bachelor of Business (Managing People and Organisations)
- Bachelor of Business (Tourism Management)
- Bachelor of Business (Hospitality Management)
- Bachelor of Business (Marketing)
- Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Justice Studies
- Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Business (Finance)
- Bachelor of Business (Accounting)
- Bachelor of Business (Business Economics)
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.