How to become a mathematician
Pathways to this career
- Complete a bachelor degree in mathematics or a related field such as computer science, engineering, statistics or physics. Students also complete a double degree in mathematics and a related discipline.
- Postgraduate study is often required by employers, so continue study with a masters or PhD in mathematics.
- If you wish to go down the research or academic route then a PhD is required.
- Meet people who understand the unique triumphs and challenges of mathematics by joining meetup groups, industry bodies and associations.
What does a mathematician do?
Duties and tasks
Mathematicians study mathematical principles and develop their own mathematical theories and ideas. They may work in the theoretical realm or they may apply their findings to financial, business, governmental, engineering, and social science issues in the larger world.
- Apply principles of mathematics to complex financial and business problems.
- At times, teach or mentor younger mathematicians.
- Develop mathematical models to analyse and interpret data.
- Disprove the work of other mathematicians.
- Formulate their own theorems and fields of study.
- Study areas of higher mathematics.
- Use mathematics to assess risks and predict future demands.
- Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute (AMSI)
- The Australian Mathematical Society
- The Statistical Society of Australia
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
How to write a business plan
Thinking about striking out on your own and starting your own company? Here's how to create an effective business plan.