How to become a mathematician
Pathways to this career
- Complete a bachelor degree in mathematics or a related field such as computer science, engineering, statistics or physics. Students also complete a double degree in mathematics and a related discipline.
- Postgraduate study is often required by employers, so continue study with a masters or PhD in mathematics.
- If you wish to go down the research or academic route then a PhD is required.
- Meet people who understand the unique triumphs and challenges of mathematics by joining meetup groups, industry bodies and associations.
What does a mathematician do?
Duties and tasks
Mathematicians study mathematical principles and develop their own mathematical theories and ideas. They may work in the theoretical realm or they may apply their findings to financial, business, governmental, engineering, and social science issues in the larger world.
- Apply principles of mathematics to complex financial and business problems.
- At times, teach or mentor younger mathematicians.
- Develop mathematical models to analyse and interpret data.
- Disprove the work of other mathematicians.
- Formulate their own theorems and fields of study.
- Study areas of higher mathematics.
- Use mathematics to assess risks and predict future demands.
- Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute (AMSI)
- The Australian Mathematical Society
- The Statistical Society of Australia
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
What is an occupational therapist and what do they do?
Occupational therapists play a crucial role in healthcare. But what exactly do they do, and how can you follow this rewarding career path? Let’s find out.
Dietitian vs nutritionist in Australia: What’s the difference?
Want to help people make healthier food choices? Get to know the nutrition experts who guide us on everything from macros to calories for a living.
Adriana is using her nutrition degree to make a difference
With her Bachelor of Food and Nutrition, Adriana educates others about the impact food can have on the body.