How to become a statistician
Pathways to this career
What does a statistician do?Statisticians develop or apply statistical theory and methods to collect, interpret, organise, and compile numerical data. Organisations use statisticians’ work to solve problems in fields including biology, agriculture, business and economics.
Duties and tasks
- Analyse and interpret statistical data.
- Design research projects for collecting data.
- Ensure validity, efficiency and accuracy of statistical methods.
- Represent information in chart, table or graph form.
- Process large amounts of data.
- Supervise technicians collecting and compiling data.
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Do you need a masters to work in a library?
Librarians play an important role in keeping information accessible and helping people find what they need. But what qualifications do you actually need to become a librarian in Australia?
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.