Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Online and other materials
Subjects may require attendance
- 02 Mar 2020
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- demonstrate a broad theoretical and technical knowledge of vector functions and curves in space, including the concepts of length and curvature;
- demonstrate a broad theoretical and technical knowledge of differentiation of multivariable functions, including the inverse mapping theorem and multivariable Taylor formula;
- demonstrate a broad theoretical and technical knowledge of multivariable integration and the ability to compute surface and volume integrals; and
- demonstrate a broad theoretical and technical knowledge of the integral theorems and demonstrate the ability to apply this knowledge to fluid dynamics.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
- EquipmentDetails - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- SoftwareDetails - Please refer students to link for requirements: http://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component.
- TravelDetails - Travel may be required to attend the Final Examination for this subject.
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
In this subject the basic concepts of single variable calculus are generalised to functions of two and more variables. Topics include: basic geometrical topics on curves and surfaces in relation to multivariable functions; limits and continuity; differentiability and partial derivatives; inverse and implicit mapping theorems; multivariable Taylor formula; extreme values; double and triple integrals; line integrals; the integral theorems.
Assessment 1 to Assessment 10: Notes Problem-based assignment. Students must submit at least 8 assignments to pass this unit. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4. Final Examination: 3 hrs 15 mins. It is mandatory to pass this examination in order to pass this unit. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4. UNE manages supervised exams associated with your UNE subjects. Prior to census date, UNE releases exam timetables. They’ll email important exam information directly to your UNE email address.
- Assessment 1 (4%)
- Assessment 2 (4%)
- Assessment 3 (4%)
- Assessment 4 (4%)
- Assessment 5 (4%)
- Assessment 6 (4%)
- Assessment 7 (4%)
- Assessment 8 (4%)
- Assessment 9 (4%)
- Assessment 10 (4%)
- Final Examination (60%)
Calculus Early Transcendentals 11th ed.
Mathematical Analysis I
Mathematical Analysis II 2nd ed.