How to become a company secretary
Pathways to this career
- Kick start your career as a secretary by completing a foundation qualification in business administration or a related field.
- Open doors to more opportunities with a diploma in business administration.
What does a company secretary do?
Duties and tasks
- Collect and analyse financial data
- Control treasury systems and policies
- Ensure cost effectiveness of operating procedures
- Establish budgets and other financial systems
- Handle the transfer of stock shares
- Keep governing board up to date on new listing rules, practices and legislation
- Manage equity, debt, securities and tax issues
- Plan and attend meetings with company directors as well as corporate shareholders
- Prepare documents regarding share capital
- Prepare financial statements
- Review risk management issues and find solutions for any problems
Step up your career with these resources
Upskilling or reskilling now will give you more career options
Thanks to the pandemic, new technologies and calls for social progress, the world of work is changing. How will you stay ahead in your industry?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised the ease of online study, Edward's goals went from squeezing through with a 'pass', to achieving excellent marks.
The checklist to prepare your career for the 2020s
With the turn of the decade, and today's speedy technology advances, here's how employees can approach the next 10 years in the workforce feeling prepared, not panicked.