Essential Mathematics 1: Algebra and Trigonometry
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
- 28 Jun 2021
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
- Apply elementary manipulative skills to solve mathematical problems
- Formulate simple applied problems in mathematical language
- Use the principles of elementary trigonometry and linear algebra in the solution of problems
- Mathematical Preliminaries and Polynomials
- Exponents, Rational and Radical Expressions, and the Complex Number System
- Equations and Inequalities: Linear and Non-linear
- Analytic Geometry
- Matrices and Systems of Linear Equations
- Functions and Graphs of Quadratics
- Trigonometric Functions
- Graphs of Trigonometric Functions
- Trigonometric Equations
- Other Trigonometric Identities and Solving Triangles
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
This is a foundation-level course designed to increase confidence and ability in mathematical skills, particularly in the areas of elementary algebra, trigonometry, and linear algebra. There is also a focus on formulating problems in mathematical language, and communicating appropriately in mathematics.
This course may be the first experience of serious mathematics. At this level, mathematics often requires persistence and approaching problems from different perspectives. Mathematics problems can sometimes be like puzzles — frustrating, but very satisfying once solved. This course will guide you through every step of the way.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a course from UniSA Online’s Associate Degree in Engineering.
Current study term: 27 Jun 21 to 03 Sep 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.