How to become a DevOps engineer
What does a DevOps engineer do?A DevOps engineer bridges the gaps bewteen softare development and IT operations team to ensure agility and stability and accounted for in the development lifecycle.
DevOps engineers use promote a culture of continous delivery through the introduction of specific methods, pracices and tools. They help reduce risks, help produce better code and increase speed to market.
Duties and tasks
- Lead software development teams and manage IT projects.
- Promote a culture of continuous integration and continuous development.
- Understand and write computer and programming languages.
- Monitor operations, performance testing and benchmarking.
- Design and improve IT systems and infrastructure.
- Assess or build automation tools.
- Monitor security and compliance.
- The Australian Computer Society
- Information Technology Professionals Association (ITPA)
- Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA)
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Systems Engineering Society of Australia
- Engineers Australia
Discover online data science courses
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.