How to become a business analyst
Explore how to become a business analyst in Australia. Use your leadership, technology and data skills to improve how organisations operate.
Begin your business analysis career
- Complete a business analyst certification or undergraduate degree in business management, business analytics or information technology.
- Develop your knowledge even further by earning a postgraduate degree in one of these same areas.
- Read A Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge (BABOK Guide) by the International Institute of Business Analysis (IIIBA) to understand current best practices in business analytics.
- Gain work experience in a profession that allows you to explore data and analytics in a business setting.
- Join internationally recognised industry body IIBA. Once you’ve been in the industry for at least two years, you can get certified to elevate your employability.
What does a business analyst do?Business analysts use data to evaluate how a business is performing and identify where improvements can be made. They help leadership teams understand how information technology can be integrated within organisations, and play a key role in making businesses more efficient and profitable.
Since they work closely with large, unorganised data sets to gather their insights, business analysts tend to have strong skills in statistics and computer programming.
Duties and tasks
Here are some of the common roles and responsibilities of a business analyst:
- Review business processes
- Identify actionable insights and solutions
- Present relevant data to business stakeholders
- Streamline and automate business processes for improved efficiencies
- Conduct budgeting and forecasting
- Manage data collection, analysis and reporting
Institute of Analytics Professionals of Australia (IAPA)
IAPA is Australia’s only analytics association. The organisation has its own industry recognised data analyst credential that members can earn as evidence of their skills.
International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA)
With over 29,000 members globally, IIBA is an independent, not-for-profit association that connects all business analysts. Join the Australian chapter to access local networking events and earn a globally recognised business analyst certification.
Student stories and study advice
Meet the women making their mark in AI
A world driven by AI may be on the horizon, but thus far the majority of those at the helm of its advances are men. While women in AI may be scarce, a sprinkling of trailblazers are paving the way for a more even-handed future.
Will AI take my job?
Is AI taking over jobs? We do a deep dive into the impending age of AI and weigh up whether AI is really a risk to our jobs, or if the real issue is one of being left behind.
6 careers in gaming you can explore in Australia
Thanks to a 2022 government incentive, there’s never been a better time to get involved in our local video game industry. But what job roles are actually out there?