How to become a business analyst
Begin your business analysis career
- Complete a business analyst certification or undergraduate degree in business management, business analytics or information technology.
- Develop your knowledge even further by earning a postgraduate degree in one of these same areas.
- Read A Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge (BABOK Guide) by the International Institute of Business Analysis (IIIBA) to understand current best practices in business analytics.
- Gain work experience in a profession that allows you to explore data and analytics in a business setting.
- Join internationally recognised industry body IIBA. Once you’ve been in the industry for at least two years, you can get certified to elevate your employability.
What does a business analyst do?Business analysts use data to evaluate how a business is performing and identify where improvements can be made. They help leadership teams understand how information technology can be integrated within organisations, and play a key role in making businesses more efficient and profitable.
Since they work closely with large, unorganised data sets to gather their insights, business analysts tend to have strong skills in statistics and computer programming.
Duties and tasks
Here are some of the common roles and responsibilities of a business analyst:
- Review business processes
- Identify actionable insights and solutions
- Present relevant data to business stakeholders
- Streamline and automate business processes for improved efficiencies
- Conduct budgeting and forecasting
- Manage data collection, analysis and reporting
Institute of Analytics Professionals of Australia (IAPA)
IAPA is Australia’s only analytics association. The organisation has its own industry recognised data analyst credential that members can earn as evidence of their skills.
International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA)
With over 29,000 members globally, IIBA is an independent, not-for-profit association that connects all business analysts. Join the Australian chapter to access local networking events and earn a globally recognised business analyst certification.
Business analytics jobs
After becoming qualified in business analytics, you can explore a number of data roles. Specific positions include:
- Business analytics specialist
- Business intelligence expert
- Chief data officer
- Chief technology officer
- Data architect
- Data mining expert
- Data scientist
- Financial analyst
- Machine learning engineer
- Market research analyst
- Management consultant
- Operations analyst
- Personal financial advisor
- Project manager
- Supply chain analyst
Step up your career with these resources
What is an occupational therapist and what do they do?
Occupational therapists play a crucial role in healthcare. But what exactly do they do, and how can you follow this rewarding career path? Let’s find out.
Dietitian vs nutritionist in Australia: What’s the difference?
Want to help people make healthier food choices? Get to know the nutrition experts who guide us on everything from macros to calories for a living.
Adriana is using her nutrition degree to make a difference
With her Bachelor of Food and Nutrition, Adriana educates others about the impact food can have on the body.