How to become an IT support technician
Assist in the planning, installation and performance of computer systems and technology.
What does an IT support technician do?
Duties and tasks
- Advise clients of proper steps to be taken to fix minor problems with computer, software or equipment.
- Create computer networks and security programmes and install software.
- Design web sites for organisations, maintaining and updating technical applications.
- Identify causes of software and hardware malfunctions and organise repairs or replacements needed.
- Monitor performance of equipment and computer systems or software to ensure optimal performance.
- Provide maintenance and repairs for computer hardware and additional equipment such as printers, modems, etc.
- Understand software and hardware programmes and infrastructure in order to provide support.
- Australian Computer Society
- Australian Computer Society (ACS)
- Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA)
- Australian Information Security Association
- Information Technology Professionals Association (ITPA)
- Innovation & Business Skills Australia (IBSA)
- Internet Association of Australia
- Help desk operator
- Information technology administrator
- IT support technician
- Network support technician
- Support technician
- Website administrator
Discover online data science courses
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.