How to become a computer hardware engineer
Get on the tools to design computer systems and components, and solve existing hardware challenges.
What does a computer hardware engineer do?
Computer hardware engineers analyse computer hardware to determine improvements to equipment such as circuit boards, routers, processors and memory devices.
Duties and tasks
- Analyse and understand user needs and recommend appropriate hardware.
- Create prototypes to develop and test solutions to improve computer systems and equipment.
- Continuously analyse, test and modify designs to successfully update computer hardware.
- Oversee the manufacturing process for computer hardware.
- Research new technologies and find innovative ways to improve the efficiency of computer hardware.
- Association for Computing Machinery
- The Australian Computer Society
- Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA)
- Information Technology Professionals Association (ITPA)
- Systems Engineering Society of Australia
Step up your career with these resources
Not sure what to say when negotiating your salary? Follow these tips from career strategist Kelly Magowan next time you need to make your case with an employer.
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.