How to become a computer hardware engineer
What does a computer hardware engineer do?
Computer hardware engineers analyse computer hardware to determine improvements to equipment such as circuit boards, routers, processors and memory devices.
Duties and tasks
- Analyse and understand user needs and recommend appropriate hardware.
- Create prototypes to develop and test solutions to improve computer systems and equipment.
- Continuously analyse, test and modify designs to successfully update computer hardware.
- Oversee the manufacturing process for computer hardware.
- Research new technologies and find innovative ways to improve the efficiency of computer hardware.
- Association for Computing Machinery
- The Australian Computer Society
- Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA)
- Information Technology Professionals Association (ITPA)
- Systems Engineering Society of Australia
Discover online data science courses
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.