How to become a computer hardware engineer
What does a computer hardware engineer do?
Computer hardware engineers analyse computer hardware to determine improvements to equipment such as circuit boards, routers, processors and memory devices.
Duties and tasks
- Analyse and understand user needs and recommend appropriate hardware.
- Create prototypes to develop and test solutions to improve computer systems and equipment.
- Continuously analyse, test and modify designs to successfully update computer hardware.
- Oversee the manufacturing process for computer hardware.
- Research new technologies and find innovative ways to improve the efficiency of computer hardware.
- Association for Computing Machinery
- The Australian Computer Society
- Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA)
- Information Technology Professionals Association (ITPA)
- Systems Engineering Society of Australia
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
Upskilling or reskilling now will give you more career options
Thanks to the pandemic, new technologies and calls for social progress, the world of work is changing. How will you stay ahead in your industry?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised the ease of online study, Edward's goals went from squeezing through with a 'pass', to achieving excellent marks.
The checklist to prepare your career for the 2020s
With the turn of the decade, and today's speedy technology advances, here's how employees can approach the next 10 years in the workforce feeling prepared, not panicked.