How to become an early childhood teacher
Pathways to this career
- Complete an undergraduate degree in early childhood education or teaching.
- Already qualified in another field? Study a postgraduate degree in early childhood education to change careers or progress your career further.
- Register as an early childhood teacher with the Department of Education in your state or territory.
- Maintain a Working with Children Licence and comprehensive First Aid certificate.
What does an early childhood teacher do?
Duties and tasks
- Plan and structure indoor and outdoor structured learning classes.
- Use a variety of materials and equipment to develop motor skills, cooperative social skills, confidence and understanding.
- Promote language development through storytelling, role play, songs, rhymes and discussions.
- Observe and evaluate students' progress and discuss with parents and staff.
- Monitor nutritional health, welfare and safety needs of students.
- Participate in community and family support programs.
- Early Childhood Teachers' Association (ECTA)
- Australian Children's Education & Care Quality Authority
- NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA)
- Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT)
- Queensland College of Teachers (QCT)
- Teachers Registration Board of South Australia
- Teachers Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA)
- Teachers Registration Board (TRB) Tasmania
- Teachers Registration Board (TRB) of the Northern Territory
- ACT Teacher Quality Institute (TQI)
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
How to write a business plan
Thinking about striking out on your own and starting your own company? Here's how to create an effective business plan.