How to become a kindergarten & preschool teacher
What does a kindergarten and preschool teacher do?
Duties and tasks
- Create lesson plans and structured play to promote children's development using an assortment of games and equipment.
- Evaluate students progress and development in the classroom as well as in outdoor activities; identify any delays in progress and notify parents.
- Facilitate activities that enhance motor skills including group games, art activities, outside play and educational song and hand movements.
- Hold parent-teacher meetings and work with staff and administration on school goals as well as city, state and national standards.
- Monitor children's interactions with other students to ensure safety and positive circumstances for all students and encourage sharing and cooperation.
- Support cognitive development through stories, songs, games, simple lessons and structured play.
- Teach alphabet and numeracy using a variety of songs, visual aids and games.
- Australian Children's Education & Care Quality Authority
- Early Childhood Teachers' Association (ECTA)
- NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA)
- Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT)
- Queensland College of Teachers (QCT)
- Teachers Registration Board of South Australia
- Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA)
- Teachers Registration Board (TRB) Tasmania
- Teachers Registration Board (TRB) of the Northern Territory
- ACT Teacher Quality Institute (TQI)
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
How to write a business plan
Thinking about striking out on your own and starting your own company? Here's how to create an effective business plan.