How to become a kindergarten & preschool teacher
What does a kindergarten and preschool teacher do?
Duties and tasks
- Create lesson plans and structured play to promote children's development using an assortment of games and equipment.
- Evaluate students progress and development in the classroom as well as in outdoor activities; identify any delays in progress and notify parents.
- Facilitate activities that enhance motor skills including group games, art activities, outside play and educational song and hand movements.
- Hold parent-teacher meetings and work with staff and administration on school goals as well as city, state and national standards.
- Monitor children's interactions with other students to ensure safety and positive circumstances for all students and encourage sharing and cooperation.
- Support cognitive development through stories, songs, games, simple lessons and structured play.
- Teach alphabet and numeracy using a variety of songs, visual aids and games.
- Australian Children's Education & Care Quality Authority
- Early Childhood Teachers' Association (ECTA)
- NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA)
- Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT)
- Queensland College of Teachers (QCT)
- Teachers Registration Board of South Australia
- Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA)
- Teachers Registration Board (TRB) Tasmania
- Teachers Registration Board (TRB) of the Northern Territory
- ACT Teacher Quality Institute (TQI)
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
What is an occupational therapist and what do they do?
Occupational therapists play a crucial role in healthcare. But what exactly do they do, and how can you follow this rewarding career path? Let’s find out.
Dietitian vs nutritionist in Australia: What’s the difference?
Want to help people make healthier food choices? Get to know the nutrition experts who guide us on everything from macros to calories for a living.
Adriana is using her nutrition degree to make a difference
With her Bachelor of Food and Nutrition, Adriana educates others about the impact food can have on the body.