Graduate Certificate in Health Professional Education
For educators working in medicine, nursing, and allied health settings
This industry-focussed postgrad qualification enables you to develop your educational practice in both clinical and non-clinical environments. Study learning and facilitation theory and techniques. Gain formal recognition of your educational expertise.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 10 Jul 22
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Upon successful completion of the Graduate Certificate in Health Professional Education, graduates will be able to:
- Examine learning theories underpinning educational practice and scholarship and apply them effectively within the health education context.
- Analyse contemporary issues within health professional education and their significant influence on the application of educational practice.
- Engage in reflective practice to promote life-long learning.
The Graduate Certificate In Health Professional Education affords the student an opportunity to formalise their educational practice so they can transition from informal to formal recognition of their educational expertise in the public or private health and academic sectors.
To be eligible for admission to the Graduate Certificate in Health Professional Education applicants must also meet the following specific requirements:
- As a minimum qualification, a recognised Bachelor degree in a health profession or equivalent professional experience in health professional education, and;
- An active involvement in health professional education – applicants need to demonstrate their teaching experience in a health professional environment which can include but not limited to:
- Any clinical or hospital education-based position, or any position in which they supervise students in daily work routines (for example, people supervising undergraduate nurses, physios, doctors, medical interns, registrars, etc.)
- Work in a health-based school in academia or TAFE
- Work in a multidisciplinary team of health professionals
- Provide education/supervision to members or students
- Work in a health professional context, such as health scientist teaching in a school of medicine or veterinary clinic/hospitals
- People with health professional degrees and working in physio, OT, or social work.
Applications for Advanced Standing and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) will be considered and reviewed on a case by case basis by UNDA's Student Administration.
This Graduate Certificate in Health Professional Education is a highly practical degree designed to meet the unique learning needs of educators in health professional contexts who wish to extend their understanding of learning theory to their workplace. This postgraduate program is aimed at health professional educators in medicine, nursing and allied health settings in academic and/or clinical contexts. Acknowledging complex lives and multiple priorities this degree is flexible. The self-directed courses are delivered fully online, allowing content to be accessed at a time, place and pace that best suits you. This postgraduate degree, extends your understanding of learning theory, contemporary educational issues, clinical reasoning and supervision. The Graduate Certificate in Health Professional Education is an articulated qualification that forms the foundation for the Graduate Diploma and/or Master of Health Professional Education.
Recommended Study Pattern
Students may only complete this program under part-time study (no more than 2 subjects per semester).
Complete the following core subject:
- MEDI5121 Learning and Facilitation in Health Professional Education
Complete 3 elective subjects from the following options:
- MEDI5110 Contemporary Issues in Health Professional Education and Leadership
- MEDI5122 Assessing Competence in Health Professional Education
- MEDI5123 Reasoning and Clinical Innovation
- MEDI5124 Coaching and Supervision in Health
- EDUC5116 Designing Curriculum for Effective Learning
- EDUC5117 Principles and Practices of Assessment and Evaluation
To be eligible for the award of Graduate Certificate in Health Professional Education students must complete a minimum of 25 Units of Credit consisting of the one (1) Compulsory course, and 75 Units of Credit from three (3) Elective courses.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.