Graduate Certificate in Behavioural Insights
A deeper understanding of human behaviour
Explore the factors that influence people’s choices in the business world. You’ll study behavioural economics, behavioural finance, and consumer decision-making. Apply your knowledge to make strategic nudges towards your desired outcomes.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 05 Feb 23
- 25 Jun 23
Australia’s fourth oldest university, the University of Tasmania, is highly regarded internationally for teaching and academic excellence. The university offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees and more than 50 postgraduate programs across a range of disciplines. The university offers students a diverse range of opportunities, the chance to learn from leading experts, and excellent preparation for their future careers.
Learn more about UTAS.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Identify and explain core concepts at the intersection of economics, psychology and behavioural science, to predict their influence on individual and group behaviour, and decision making.
- Identify the behavioural roots of social or economic problems, construct alternate solutions, and translate these solutions into a series of possible interventions to solve these problems.
- Implement rigorous and ethical experiments to test and evaluate the efficacy of alternate behavioural intentions.
Completion of this program will give you the opportunity to undertake further postgraduate programs with the Tasmanian School of Business and Economics, which may have career change or advancement benefits.
To be eligible for an offer, applicants must:
- Have a completed undergraduate or postgraduate course in a healthcare, or communications technology related field at Bachelor level (AQF7) or higher (or equivalent); AND
- Be working in a healthcare or IT setting
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
The Graduate Certificate in Behavioural Insights provides you with an in-depth understanding of how and why people think certain ways and make decisions. The program draws on theories and concepts from different fields such as behavioural economics, psychology, cognitive science, sociology and anthropology. Via practical learning you will obtain the knowledge and skills required to apply behavioural insights to uncover the human behavioural roots underlying contemporary policy challenges, and to construct behavioural solutions to address these challenges. The program also teaches you how to use appropriate empirical methods to design, test and evaluate behavioural interventions for evidence-based policy-making.
* Please note that the subjects in this course include timetabled classes at UTAS campuses and venues, and other sessions that online students may be expected to attend at scheduled times. For students studying online outside of Australia this may include classes outside of normal work and study hours due to differences in timezones.
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study, the following study pattern is recommended.
Completion of 4 subjects from the schedule below:
3 core subjects:
- TAS-BEA707 Behavioural Economics
- TAS-BEA708 Behavioural Finance
- TAS-BMA604 Consumer Decision-Making
Select 1 subject from the following
- TAS-BEA683 Economics for Managers
- TAS-BMA708 Marketing Insights into Big Data
- TAS-BMA710 Strategic Brand Marketing
Note: If students don't have an economics background, students must select BEA683. If students have a background in economics student may choose BMA708 or BMA710, instead of BEA683.
Satisfactory completion of 4 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 0.5-2 years from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.