How to become a CPA (certified practising accountant)
Pathways to this career
- Study a CPA-recognised degree. Don’t want to go back to uni? Study and pass CPA Australia’s foundation exams instead.
- Apply to become a member of CPA Australia.
- Complete the CPA program and gain three years of professional experience in business, finance or accounting under the guidance of a qualified mentor.
- Maintain your CPA Australia membership by participating in continuing professional development each year.
- Comply with the strict code of conduct mandated by CPA Australia.
What does a CPA do?
A CPA is responsible for general financial analysis across a range of central business functions including marketing, business planning, product costing and production. They’re often regarded as trusted specialists, thanks to their open-minded problem solving skills and comfort with tricky numbers.
Duties and tasks
- Advise on budgets and other financial activities
- Assist with external company audits
- Audit individual accounts on a random basis or according to a schedule
- Balance financial records and check for discrepancies
- Check for major financial issues
- Consult with executives and CEOs to establish budgets
- Ensure projects adhere to a budget
- Manage accountants and other financial professionals
- Publish audited financial statements
CPA Australia is an internationally regarded accounting body with over 168,000 members from over 100 countries specialising in finance, accounting and business management.
Discover accounting courses online
Graduate Diploma of Professional Accounting
- Core Subjects
Discover online accounting subjects
Step up your career with these resources
How to write a cover letter in Australia: Your guide to standing out
A cover letter is the megaphone your job application needs to stand out and intrigue hiring managers… but what if your hand is shaky on the on-switch? Find out how to write a great cover letter, even if you’re not confident with words.
Upskilling or reskilling now will give you more career options
Thanks to the pandemic, new technologies and calls for social progress, the world of work is changing. How will you stay ahead in your industry?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised how easy it was to study online, Edward went from squeezing through with a pass to achieving excellent marks.