How to become a valuer
What does a valuer do?Valuers are independent third parties who determine dollar values of land and property. They conduct thorough research to inform customised valuation reports for clients including vendors, lending institutions, buyers, and local authorities.
Duties and tasks
- Advise governmental officials, private businesses, and other clients on appropriate and beneficial uses of land.
- Determine the value of a particular plot of land or piece of property by studying financial documents and information about the surrounding community.
- Help clients to manage land assets.
- Predict future trends in land use and demand by studying market data.
- Research information about land and the nearby areas to best determine an accurate value.
- Work with commercial property developers to maintain up-to-date files on current land and property values.
- Work with the legal system as needed to provide evidence, act as official witnesses, or to help in mediation and arbitration.
- Auctioneers and Valuers Association of Australia
- Australian Property Institute
- The Australian Valuers Institute
- Land economist
- Property valuer
- Real estate valuer
Discover related courses
Bachelor of Economics
- Year 3: Society and environment major
- Year 3: Industry, policy and business strategy major
Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)
- Level 2 Major Subjects
- Level 3 Major Subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Upskilling or reskilling now will give you more career options
Thanks to the pandemic, new technologies and calls for social progress, the world of work is changing. How will you stay ahead in your industry?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised the ease of online study, Edward's goals went from squeezing through with a 'pass', to achieving excellent marks.
The checklist to prepare your career for the 2020s
With the turn of the decade, and today's speedy technology advances, here's how employees can approach the next 10 years in the workforce feeling prepared, not panicked.