How to become a valuer
What does a valuer do?Valuers are independent third parties who determine dollar values of land and property. They conduct thorough research to inform customised valuation reports for clients including vendors, lending institutions, buyers, and local authorities.
Duties and tasks
- Advise governmental officials, private businesses, and other clients on appropriate and beneficial uses of land.
- Determine the value of a particular plot of land or piece of property by studying financial documents and information about the surrounding community.
- Help clients to manage land assets.
- Predict future trends in land use and demand by studying market data.
- Research information about land and the nearby areas to best determine an accurate value.
- Work with commercial property developers to maintain up-to-date files on current land and property values.
- Work with the legal system as needed to provide evidence, act as official witnesses, or to help in mediation and arbitration.
- Auctioneers and Valuers Association of Australia
- Australian Property Institute
- The Australian Valuers Institute
- Land economist
- Property valuer
- Real estate valuer
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.