Master of Finance
Prepare for a global career in the evolving finance industry
Develop a critical understanding of the complex field of finance. You’ll get to know Australian and international financial markets, and gain confidence with solid decision-making skills backed by data. Forge your professional career in finance.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 11 Feb 24
- 07 Jul 24
Wherever you are, the University of Tasmania brings its island campus to you through a growing range of online programs across art and design, business, education, health, science, sustainability, technology, and more. It’s never too late to switch things up. Kickstart that career you’ve been dreaming about, or upskill for the one you’re in. You’ll also become a part of the world's leading university on climate action.
Learn more about UTAS.
Explore UTAS courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
When would you like to chat?
Let me pick a time
Find a time that suits you for a free 1:1 consultation.
Call me anytime
An advisor will call you, usually within 30 minutes.
What you'll learn
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Explain the context and integrate advanced theoretical and technical finance knowledge to analyse and solve complex financial issues in private corporations and public organisations
- Defend advanced financial information and decisions in complex collaborative contexts involving specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Design, conduct and communicate ethical research into a contemporary issue or problem critical to the finance profession.
- Exercise judgement to design and apply financial solutions using ethical, social, regulatory, economic, sustainability and global perspectives.
- Critically reflect on the responsibilities of the finance profession considering the implications for communities, environment, and wellbeing.
The Master of Finance will give you financial knowledge and skills that you can utilise throughout your future professional career in the broader finance community both at the personal and institutional level including; financial planning, financial institutions, insurance, superannuation funds, not-for-profit organisations, and government and local authorities.
Our teaching philosophy emphasises the acquisition of life-long financial knowledge and skills, fosters empowerment and personal responsibility by encouraging students to challenge the conventional paradigms in finance. This approach has been extremely successful, with 89% of our graduates finding a job within 4 months of graduation.
Careers in Accounting and Finance are growing fast, here are some of the careers projected to grow into 2026*:
- 9.2% Accountant
- 21.3% Auditors and corporate treasures
- 14.2 % Financial Broker
*Labour Market Insights five-year projections from November 2021 to November 2026.
The new Master of Finance program will gain industry recognition from globally recognized professional associations: the
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Institute
- Professional Risk Managers' International Association (PRMIA) and
- CAIA Association.
Affiliation with these organisations will enable students in the program to benefit from attaining qualifications with globally recognized professional status and access to apply for scholarship offerings from the associated professional body.
Higher education via OUA
Students who successfully complete the Graduate Certificate in Finance (TAS-FIN-GCE) or the Graduate Diploma in Finance (TAS-FIN-GDI) may articulate with full credit into the Master of Finance.
- Completion of an AQF level 7 Bachelor degree (or higher) or the equivalent overseas qualification; OR
- Completion of the Graduate Certificate of Finance or the Graduate Diploma of Finance at the University of Tasmania.
Credit for previous study or work
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
Finance is at the center of one of the most exciting developments shaping our world. Studying a UTAS Master of Finance degree enables you to be a decision maker for the future. The skills you develop will open up valuable and satisfying career opportunities across an incredible range of vocations - corporate chief executives and major institutional investors through to fintech unicorns and private capital entrepreneurs. Whether you are looking for the qualification to start out in the industry, or you are planning to upskill and accelerate your career, the skills and knowledge you attain in this degree will enable you to achieve.
The degree primes you for a long-term career in finance. You will gain a deep knowledge of global markets and the opportunities they create. Your insights will be informed by industry practitioners, exposure to live market information, and contemporary case studies. Practitioner engagement provides a rich experience through industry expert interviews and keynote presentations on current trends in FinTech, Sustainability and Behavioural Insights. Your industry knowledge will be enhanced through local, national and global case studies. Market trading data and real-time financial news will further build your familiarity with global business activity.
Our Finance courses are recognised by the CFA Institute University Affiliation Program and the Global Association of Risk Professionals. This recognition is an important signal to potential employers that our finance curriculum ensures our students are prepared for successful investment management and risk management careers in the global finance industry.
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended.
- TAS-BEA674 Data and Business Decision Making
- TAS-BEA683 Economics for Managers
- TAS-BFA503 Principles of Financial Management
- TAS-BFA507 Accounting and Accountability for Decision Making
- TAS-BEA651 Corporate Finance
- TAS-BEA708 Behavioural Finance
- TAS-BEA710 Derivatives
- TAS-BFA607 Investment Planning
Students choose one of the following Specialisations:
- TAS-BEA704 Sustainable Finance
- TAS-BFA757 Socially Responsible Investing
Select both (two) Marketing (BMA) subjects, or the Geography (KGA) subject
- TAS-BMA610 Digital and Social Media Marketing
- TAS-BMA737 New Product and Service Development
- TAS-KGA703 Professional Research Methods (double credit points)
- TAS-BAA513 Innovation and Enterprise
- TAS-BEA709 FinTech
- TAS-BFA747 Data Analytics for Accounting
- TAS-BMA606 Services Marketing
- TAS-BEA707 Behavioural Economics
- TAS-BMA604 Consumer Decision-Making
- TAS-BMA708 Marketing Insights into Big Data
Select one subject from the below:
- TAS-BEA683 Economics for Managers
- TAS-BFA747 Data Analytics for Accounting
- TAS-BAA704 Research Methods and Analysis
- TAS-BAA710 Data Analysis and Management
Choice of Research Project or Corporate Internship: Students must complete either the 25 credit point Research Project or the 25 credit point Corporate Internship:
- TAS-BAA705 Research Project
- TAS-BAA709 Corporate Internship
Satisfactory completion of 16 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 2-5 years from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.