Graduate Diploma of Finance
Start your career in money management
This course is ideal for those who are already qualified in another sector and want to move into finance. You'll get to know the fundamentals of corporate finance, economics and business. You can then use this knowledge to enrol in more advanced study.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 07 Jul 24
Wherever you are, the University of Tasmania brings its island campus to you through a growing range of online programs across art and design, business, education, health, science, sustainability, technology, and more. It’s never too late to switch things up. Kickstart that career you’ve been dreaming about, or upskill for the one you’re in. You’ll also become a part of the world's leading university on climate action.
Learn more about UTAS.
Explore UTAS courses.
QS Ranking 2024
Times Higher Education Ranking 2024
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
When would you like to chat?
Let me pick a time
Find a time that suits you for a free 1:1 consultation.
Call me anytime
An advisor will call you, usually within 30 minutes.
What you'll learn
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Explain the context and integrate advanced theoretical and technical finance knowledge to analyse and solve complex financial issues in private corporations and public organisations.
- Defend advanced financial information and decisions in complex collaborative contexts involving specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Exercise judgement to design and apply financial solutions using ethical, social, regulatory, economic, sustainability and global perspectives.
For entry into the Graduate Diploma of Finance, students must meet the following criteria:
- Completion of an AQF level 7 Bachelor degree (or higher) or the equivalent overseas qualification; or
- Completion of the Graduate Certificate of Finance at the University of Tasmania (TAS-FIN-GCE)
Credit for previous study or work
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
The UTAS Graduate Diploma of Finance is designed to facilitate the acquisition of life-long financial knowledge and skills through sharing and building on the diverse experiences of all stakeholders within the program. It fosters empowerment and personal responsibility by encouraging students to challenge the conventional paradigms in finance.
The degree engages students through linking contemporary teaching and learning activities to real-world issues in local, national and global case studies. This approach facilitates self-actualisation, critical reflection, and experiential learning. It also equips our students with the theories, concepts, and knowledge in finance that are necessary to deal with the rapid changes in the finance industry worldwide by covering a variety of highly relevant perspectives, including theoretical, empirical, behavioural, ethical, economic, environmental and statistical/mathematical.
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended
Completion of 8 core subjects from the schedule below.
- TAS-BEA674 Data and Business Decision Making
- TAS-BEA683 Economics for Managers
- TAS-BFA503 Principles of Financial Management
- TAS-BFA507 Accounting and Accountability for Decision Making
- TAS-BEA651 Corporate Finance
- TAS-BEA708 Behavioural Finance
- TAS-BEA710 Derivatives
- TAS-BFA607 Investment Planning
Satisfactory completion of 8 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 1-3 years from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.