Graduate Diploma of Finance
Start your career in money management
This course is ideal for those who are already qualified in another sector and want to move into finance. You'll get to know the fundamentals of corporate finance, economics and business. You can then use this knowledge to enrol in more advanced study.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
Australia’s fourth oldest university, the University of Tasmania, is highly regarded internationally for teaching and academic excellence. The university offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees and more than 50 postgraduate programs across a range of disciplines. The university offers students a diverse range of opportunities, the chance to learn from leading experts, and excellent preparation for their future careers.
Learn more about UTAS.
Explore UTAS courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon successful completion of this program, the student should be able to:
- Explain the context and integrate advanced theoretical and technical finance knowledge to analyse and solve complex financial issues in private corporations and public organisations.
- Defend advanced financial information and decisions in complex collaborative contexts involving specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Exercise judgement to design and apply financial solutions using ethical, social, regulatory, economic, sustainability and global perspectives.
For entry into the Masters, Graduate Diploma, or Graduate Certificate, applicants must demonstrate:
- Completion of an AQF level 7 Bachelor degree (or higher) or the equivalent overseas qualification
For entry into the Masters course:
- If an applicant has completed an AQF level 7 or higher degree or equivalent overseas qualification in a cognate area, that applicant should be provided with 50 credit points of advanced standing in the transition block. Cognate entry includes any applicant with a completed qualification in business, finance, economics, or mathematics including a major in one of those fields. Alternative requests for cognate entry to be assessed by the Course Coordinator.
Work and Life
Qualifications, relevant work experience or other special circumstances, as approved by the Executive Dean or delegated authority. Refer all applications to UTAS.
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
The UTAS Graduate Diploma of Finance is designed to facilitate the acquisition of life-long financial knowledge and skills through sharing and building on the diverse experiences of all stakeholders within the program. It fosters empowerment and personal responsibility by encouraging students to challenge the conventional paradigms in finance.
The degree engages students through linking contemporary teaching and learning activities to real-world issues in local, national and global case studies. This approach facilitates self-actualisation, critical reflection, and experiential learning. It also equips our students with the theories, concepts, and knowledge in finance that are necessary to deal with the rapid changes in the finance industry worldwide by covering a variety of highly relevant perspectives, including theoretical, empirical, behavioural, ethical, economic, environmental and statistical/mathematical.
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended
Completion of 8 core subjects from the schedule below:
- TAS-BEA674 Data and Business Decision Making
- TAS-BEA683 Economics for Managers
- TAS-BFA503 Principles of Financial Management
- TAS-BFA507 Accounting and Accountability for Decision Making
- TAS-BEA651 Corporate Finance
- TAS-BEA708 Behavioural Finance
- TAS-BEA710 Derivatives
- TAS-BFA607 Investment Planning
Satisfactory completion of 8 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 1-3 years from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.