Warning! This is a restricted degree. Subject enrolment is only available to students admitted into this degree.
Graduate Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
Prevent accidents and manage safety in the workplace
Study core subjects in accident prevention and risk management. Then pursue your interest or shape your career with electives including ergonomics and compensation. Build up your OHS knowledge and skills and get ready to solve problems in the workplace.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 03 Jul 22
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
On successful completion of this Course the learner will be able to :
- apply and integrate the knowledge and principles of occupational health and safety and practical skills required for the prevention of injury and occupational disease in the workplace environment
- apply logical and rational processes to critically analyse issues relevant to OHS and think creatively in the generation of solutions to problems
- access, evaluate and synthesise relevant information and evidence from a range of resources available in the field of OHS and use appropriate information and communication technology practices
- communicate effectively with a range of people including community groups, workers, employers, statutory authorities and their representatives and other professionals.
- use scientific and technological methods with an understanding of their advantages and limitations
- demonstrate ability for self-directed and lifelong learning through the pursuit of professional development opportunities in occupational health and safety
- recognise and apply international standards and perspectives within OHS
- demonstrate an appreciation of cultural diversity including the impact of cultural and social factors of OHS practices
- demonstrate professionalism and capacity for leadership and be able to work independently, collaboratively and ethically
Graduates can gain employment in a variety of industries including mining, oil, gas, manufacturing and construction. There is also demand for graduates in corporate, government, health and academic sectors. With the stringent legislative requirements for health and safety in the workplace and the increase in resources and commodity prices expected to continue, future demand for tertiary qualified occupational health and safety professionals is expected to be high.
Specifically, applicants require a Bachelor degree, preferably with a health, science or management related background, from a recognised tertiary institution.
English Proficiency Requirements
Applicants need to meet Curtin's English Language requirements. You normally need ONE of the following:
- Must have a 50% minimum in English ATAR (or equivalent).
- Completion of at least one full time semester (or equivalent) of Undergraduate level studies at an Australian University
- Completion of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Diploma or Advanced Diploma or Associate Diploma
- Successful completion of two degree level subjects via Open Universities Australia (OUA) and English proficiency
- Successful completion of two degree level subjects at an Australian university and English proficiency
- Successful completion of the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT). (Please note this test is valid for two years.)
Please refer to the 'Minimum English Language Proficiency Requirements' document at https://study.curtin.edu.au/applying/english-language-requirements/.
*** Please Note: If any academic or legal document is not in English, you must provide a colour scan of the non-English documents, including a colour scan of the official English translations of these documents. This is for comparison purposes.***
Students may be expected to purchase a number of textbooks and other essential study materials.
Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL) is assessed on individual merit and is awarded for different types of learning, for example, studies you have previously completed or for relevant work experience. Students must be admitted in an award degree of study before lodging their completed CRL application, along with all required supporting documentation for a formal assessment. To apply for CRL, please visit the Curtin University website: https://study.curtin.edu.au/credit/
It is important to note accepted documentation includes scans of the original Transcripts and/or Award Certificate; front and back; in colour; and original size. For further information see the scanned documents and certification requirements and guidelines. More information about the policies and procedures related to CRL assessment and appealing a CRL assessment outcome can be found in the Credit for Recognised Learning Policy (PDF).
This multidisciplinary course provides specialised advanced training for graduates or occupational health and safety practitioners with an emphasis on risk and safety management, accident prevention and safety technology. It allows for a degree of additional specialisation according to individual needs and upon completion provides entry into the Graduate Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety. All students will be required to undertake an academic skills module at the commencement of the course.
Graduate Certificates prepare students to develop advanced knowledge and skills for professional or highly skilled work and further learning corresponding to AQF level 8 qualifications.
Recommended Study Pattern
This course consists of two core units and two optional units. The core units, which should be undertaken first, teach fundamental occupational health and safety concepts, including risk management, accident prevention and occupational health and safety legislation. Students select two optional units that can reflect their interests and future career needs.
To graduate with the Graduate Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety, students must successfully complete 4 core units in the structure.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.