Diploma of Exercise and Sport Science
Build foundations in movement and healthy living
An introductory sports course designed by industry professionals. You’ll cover topics in health and exercise related to human bodies and wellbeing. Build key skills in sports science, including using data and technology for better outcomes.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 04 Feb 24
- 07 Jul 24
The University of Notre Dame Australia is committed to delivering an excellent student experience, alongside a high standard of teaching, research, and training. As a leader in ethical education, Notre Dame aims to develop students’ critical reasoning and their ability to make ethical decisions—crucial skills to progressing their careers and leading purposeful lives. At Notre Dame, students navigate their future with an ethical education online.
Learn more about UNDA.
Explore UNDA courses.
QS Ranking 2024
Times Higher Education Ranking 2024
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
When would you like to chat?
Let me pick a time
Find a time that suits you for a free 1:1 consultation.
Call me anytime
An advisor will call you, usually within 30 minutes.
What you'll learn
Upon successful completion of the Undergraduate Diploma (Exercise & Sport Science) graduates will be able to:
- Interpret and apply knowledge across the sub disciplines of exercise and sport science.
- Assess health behaviours and conditions, human movement and skills to evaluate and prescribe exercise programs in healthy populations across a range of exercise settings.
- Apply research skills for evidence-based practice that enhances professional knowledge, including the ability to compile, critically evaluate and communicate the scientific rationale for professional decision making and service delivery.
- Exemplify professional and ethical standards in practical, interpersonal and theoretical contexts and conduct that is sensitive to client diversity and equity.
- Understand how technology is used in sport for key areas such as biomechanics and exercise physiology and apply this to measure health and performance.
- Apply valuable basic data analysis skills in Excel to record and understand how health and performance can be improved and monitored.
The Diploma of Exercise & Sport Science is a great program for candidates looking for an introduction to sport science. Or those looking to upskill, as well as to enter university via an alternative pathway, and applications are invited from all prospective students seeking an alternative entry pathway, from school-leavers to mature-age students.
To be eligible for admission to the Diploma of Exercise and Sport Science applicants must meet the following specific requirements:
• complete at least four undergraduate-level subject from a recognised institution ; OR
• complete UNDA tertiary preparation program
successful completion of recognised secondary school with ATAR score of at least 75
successful completion of a recognised VET Certificate IV
Work and Life
provide the Special Tertiary Admission Test score of at least 140 (written English) and 135 (multiple choice)
English Proficiency Requirements
Defined as the successful completion of secondary education or a 2 undergraduate subjects in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada or the Republic of Ireland. Certificate IV or higher from an Australian registered training organisation. STAT
Students who have English as an Additional language and are admitted on the basis of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) assessment, or an equivalent English language proficiency assessment, are only admitted if they have attained an overall IELTS (or equivalent) score of 6.0, with no individual band score below 6.0.
All English language tests are valid for two years from the date of completion
Credit for previous study or work
Applications for Advanced Standing and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) will be considered and reviewed on a case by case basis by UNDA's Student Administration.
Improving health and wellbeing through exercise and physical activity is increasingly important in today’s sedentary world. This program aims to introduce students to methods used in exercise science to assess health status, provide basic exercise delivery, and understand the beneficial effect on human physiology. The program also introduces students to key skill areas in exercise and sport science including biomechanics, exercise physiology, basic data analysis, and technology in sport. It is a pathway to university study in the field of exercise and sports science at The University of Notre Dame, Australia and develops the necessary tertiary skills to succeed.
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
You must complete a minimum of 200 Units of Credit chosen from the subject below :
- Research and Writing in Exercise Science
- Functional Exercise Anatomy Application
- Health and Exercise Performance Testing
- Fundamentals of Exercise Programming
- Performance Methods in Exercise and Sport Science
- Exercise and Healthy Living
- Technology and Data Analysis in Exercise and Sport Science
- Chronic Disease and Exercise Management
To be eligible for the award of Undergraduate Diploma of Sport & Exercise Science students must complete a minimum of 200 Units (8 subjects) of Credit chosen from compulsory courses.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps. This degree also allows you to get started with Open access.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Choose how you want to start
You can apply for the full degree or if you want to start with Open access, enrol into the subjects using the ‘Single subjects’ option.
You can apply for the degree later and the subjects may be credited towards the degree.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.
This degree offers Open access entry, exclusive to Open Universities Australia.
There’s more than one way to get a degree. Open access allows you to start with single subjects as a way into eligible degrees, regardless of your study history.
Enrol into and complete the required Open access subjects to earn entry in this degree. Most subjects have no entry requirements, are fully government funded (if you’re eligible) and may be credited when you start the degree.
The best part? You can enrol and get started with single subjects now.