Warning! There have been changes to the course - please refer to the transition information
Diploma of Pharmacy Studies
Launch your career as a pharmacy assistant or technician
Gain entry into pharmacy as an assistant or technician, or enhance your employability within the primary care sector with this set of mathematics and science skills.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
100% online study with practicum placement
- 23 Jun 24
Wherever you are, the University of Tasmania brings its island campus to you through a growing range of online programs across art and design, business, education, health, science, sustainability, technology, and more. It’s never too late to switch things up. Kickstart that career you’ve been dreaming about, or upskill for the one you’re in. You’ll also become a part of the world's leading university on climate action.
Learn more about UTAS.
Explore UTAS courses.
QS Ranking 2024
Times Higher Education Ranking 2024
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
When would you like to chat?
Let me pick a time
Find a time that suits you for a free 1:1 consultation.
Call me anytime
An advisor will call you, usually within 30 minutes.
What you'll learn
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Identify opportunities to promote wellness at community and population levels, and undertake socially inclusive health promotion, and preventive health activities.
- Communicate and collaborate to optimise health outcomes for individuals and the broader community.
- Review and evaluate relevant health information, and identify potential solutions to make treatment recommendations.
- Apply experience-based evidence and critical reflection to develop practices that enhance learning.
- Identify and use Pharmacy-specific knowledge in relevant study areas to underpin professional practice and further study.
Diploma of Pharmacy graduates have a range of skills which would enable them to be employed and/or enhance their employability within the primary care sector as pharmacy assistants or pharmacy technicians. The content would complement existing education offered within the pharmacy sector by TAFE and professional bodies.
Higher education via OUA
Successful completion of one OUA open access subject of study at the equivalent AQF level, unless otherwise specified.
- Partially completed an undergraduate program at Diploma level or higher (or equivalent). You must have completed at least one subject of study (equivalent to 12.5 UTAS credit points), at 100 level or higher and which may include 100 level subjects completed in the UTAS Diploma of University Studies. If you have failed any subjects, your application may be subject to further review before an offer is made; OR
- Completed the UTAS University Preparation Program (or an equivalent qualification offered by an Australian University).
Completed the TCE or an equivalent qualification.
Successful completion of a Certificate III or higher (or equivalent) in any discipline.
Work and Life
Applicants without senior secondary, tertiary or VET / TAFE study can complete a personal competency statement.
Applicants may be eligible for an offer if they have relevant work and / or life experiences which demonstrate a capacity to succeed in this program.
Attendance requirements - Students enrolled into KRA161 will be required to attend to a set of laboratory exercises to complete the subject. For students that have enrolled as a distance student, you must attend a laboratory workshop delivered in the last week of semester. Both options are on campus at either the Hobart or Launceston campus.
Credit for previous study or work
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
The Diploma of Pharmacy Studies is your stepping stone into the Bachelor of Pharmacy with Honours. This is the perfect choice if you have not met the entry requirements for the Bachelor of Pharmacy with Honours, or would like a more supported entry into University studies. Upon completion of this program, you will meet the maths and chemistry pre-requisites, as well as gaining additional skills to help you succeed at University.
This program will prepare you for future study in the Bachelor of Pharmacy with Honours or you can choose to enter the workforce with highly employable skills in roles such as pharmacy assistant or pharmacy technician.
You’ll complete a mix of subjects needed to enter the Bachelor of Pharmacy with Honours subjects to develop your study skills and disciplinary subjects. You’ll also meet the University’s General Entry Requirements when you complete this program, which may allow entry into other university programs.
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
For students studying full-time, the following study pattern is recommended.
8 subjects including:
6 Core Subjects:
- TAS-CSA118 Pharmacy in Health Care
- TAS-CSA119 Managing Minor Ailments
- TAS-CSA120 Complementary Medicines in Contemporary Society
- TAS-ZAS123 Applied Chemistry OR TAS-KRA161 Introduction to Chemistry (Note KRA161 has an on-campus requirement)
- TAS-XAB011 Learning at University
- TAS-XAB084 Introductory Scientific Principles
2 Discipline Electives from the following subjects:
- TAS-KMA002 Applied Mathematics Foundation
- TAS-KMA100 Introduction to University Mathematics
- TAS-XAB090 Bridging Maths
- TAS-ZAA135 Professional Communication
Satisfactory completion of 8 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 1-3 years from commencement.
For students admitted into the 2022 version of the program, please note CSA103 is no longer offered. You will be required to study CSA118 and CSA119 as replacements within Diploma of Pharmacy Studies.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps. This degree also allows you to get started with Open access.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Choose how you want to start
You can apply for the full degree or if you want to start with Open access, enrol into the subjects using the ‘Single subjects’ option.
You can apply for the degree later and the subjects may be credited towards the degree.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.
This degree offers Open access entry, exclusive to Open Universities Australia.
There’s more than one way to get a degree. Open access allows you to start with single subjects as a way into eligible degrees, regardless of your study history.
Enrol into and complete the required Open access subjects to earn entry in this degree. Most subjects have no entry requirements, are fully government funded (if you’re eligible) and may be credited when you start the degree.
The best part? You can enrol and get started with single subjects now.