Associate Degree in Applied Business
A hands-on, personalised business degree
Materialise your dreams of being an entrepreneur or managing a business with this course. Cover management, finance, marketing, planning and electives based on your goals. Learn from industry experts. Develop a plan for employment in your final year.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 11 Apr 21
- 04 Jul 21
- 26 Sep 21
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon successful completion of this degree, students should be able to:
Identify, analyse, and evaluate personal goals and pathways for paraprofessional employment and further learning
Articulate evidence and value of learned academic and practice knowledge and skill to a range of audiences
Apply and communicate academic knowledge of business disciplines within the contemporary business environment
Apply and communicate practical business skills within the contemporary business environment
Demonstrate adaptability in the context of emerging digital and innovative landscapes through cognitive, technical, and creative thinking skills
Model the principles of sustainable business practice and resource management through ethical and professional conduct within a collaborative framework
Students will be considered 'workplace ready' after two years of full time study
Open enrolment subjects
Successful completion of 4 subjects through OUA including the following:
- ZAA131 and ZAA132
Students may apply based on previous higher education study:
- Previous Tertiary study at Bachelor level or higher – complete or incomplete with a minimum of two successfully completed units
- Associate Degree – complete or incomplete with a minimum of four successfully completed units
- Completed UTAS Diploma of University Studies
- Incomplete Diploma of University Studies with a minimum of four units completed and no fail results.
- Completed University Preparation Program (or incomplete with minimum 4 units completed and no failed units)
ATAR Entry: an ATAR result of 40 or greater achieved within the last 5 years
Tasmanian Certificate of Education (TCE) Entry: completed the TCE (or equivalent) with a minimum of Satisfactory Achievements (SA) in 5 x Level 2 subjects
Students may apply based on recent TAFE or VET study:
- TAFE Certificate III or IV (in a related field of study) within the last 10 years. Related study area:
- Accounting; Business and Management; Management: Human Resources; Hospitality; Tourism; Sales & Marketing; Office Studies; Banking, Finance and related fields; other management and commerce
- Diploma or Advanced Diploma (related or unrelated) within the last 10 years
Work and Life
Personal Competency Entry: completed a personal competency statement as part of the application process and met the criteria for entry. This statement can include prior work experience, qualifications (eg VET qualifications), skills, competencies and/or previous education.
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
The Associate Degree in Applied Business is for future leaders and managers who want to learn the skills required to make it in the modern business world. Whether you’re an aspiring entrepreneur or an assistant manager looking to step up to the next level, this degree is a great stepping stone to a new or accelerated career.
The degree combines core business subjects covering areas such as management, finance, marketing and planning with a choice of electives in students’ areas of interest. The course content has been developed in consultation with industry experts and they are actively involved in its delivery.
The first year serves as a foundation year, where you’ll learn the skills to apply your new business knowledge to a range of situations. In the second year, you’ll have an opportunity to choose a pathway to employment or higher study.
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended. If students are undertaking part-time study, we recommend that students complete all first year compulsory subjects prior to completing elective subjects to maximise success.
- 8 subjects in first year including:
- 4 compulsory subjects; TAS-ZAA131 Contemporary Business Environments, TAS-ZAA132 Managing People, TAS-ZAA133 Business Finance and TAZ-ZAA132 Marketing for Business
- 4 subjects chosen from the available subject options
- 8 subjects in the second year
- 4 compulsory subjects; TAS-ZAA231, TAS-ZAA232, TAS-ZAA233, TAS-ZAA234
- Non-Articulation Pathway
- 4 subjects chosen from the available subject options; TAS-ZAA247, TAS-ZAA251, TAS-ZAA248, TAS-ZAA249
- Articulation Pathway (into a Bachelor of Business Administration: Human Resource Management, Management or Marketing)
- 3 compulsory subject options; TAS-BEA111, TAS-BMA220, TAS-BMA262 (All Semester 2)
- 1 compulsory subject from the chosen stream:
- Human Resources Stream; TAS-BMA219 (Semester 1)
- Management Stream; TAS-BMA217 (Semester 1)
- Marketing Streams; TAS-BMA258 (Semester 1)
Satisfactory completion of 16 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 5 years from commencement.
Pick your subjects to begin.
Apply for the degree, or enrol directly into a subject. It's up to you!
You can apply for government funding or pay up-front.
This degree has open enrolment subjects which allow you to start without submitting a degree application.
You'll have the option to apply for the degree once you've successfully passed the subjects. In many cases, you'll even gain credit.