Diploma of University Studies (Business)
A pathway to university study, with lots of support
If you know what you want to study, but need some help meeting entry requirements or getting up to speed with your academic skills, this Diploma is a great place to start. Learn how to write and think at a university level.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 11 Feb 24
- 07 Jul 24
Wherever you are, the University of Tasmania brings its island campus to you through a growing range of online programs across art and design, business, education, health, science, sustainability, technology, and more. It’s never too late to switch things up. Kickstart that career you’ve been dreaming about, or upskill for the one you’re in. You’ll also become a part of the world's leading university on climate action.
Learn more about UTAS.
Explore UTAS courses.
QS Ranking 2024
Times Higher Education Ranking 2024
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
When would you like to chat?
Let me pick a time
Find a time that suits you for a free 1:1 consultation.
Call me anytime
An advisor will call you, usually within 30 minutes.
What you'll learn
Upon completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Apply generic skills for academic purposes relevant to your field of study underpinned by principles of academic integrity
- Identify, analyse, and transmit knowledge and specialised skills by learning independently and collaboratively
- Express ideas and perspectives for academic purposes relevant to your field of study
- Demonstrate a scholarly approach to communication and problem-solving skills
Higher education via OUA
Successful completion of one OUA open access subject of study at the equivalent AQF level, unless otherwise specified.
- Completed at least one undergraduate subject (equivalent to 12.5 UTAS credit points) or
- Completed a minimum of four University Preparation Program subjects (equivalent to 50 UTAS credit points).
Completed the TCE (or equivalent).
Successful completion of Certificate III or higher.
Work and Life
If you have not successfully completed senior secondary, tertiary or TAFE/VET study, but have relevant work and life experience you can complete a personal competency statement. You may be eligible for an offer if you have work and life experiences that demonstrate a capacity to succeed in this program.
Credit for previous study or work
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
The Diploma of University Studies is designed as an alternative entry pathway to university study. In each specialisation, students study subjects which provide the skills and knowledge related to their intended degree and are provided with additional support to maximise their chances of success. Specialisations offered in the Diploma of University Studies are Business and Psychological Science. The Diploma of University Studies (Business) Pathway is designed as an alternative entry pathway to the Bachelor of Business. Completion of this pathway will provide achievement in four Introductory level subjects and successful students will articulate with 100 credit points of advanced standing.
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended. If students are undertaking part-time study, we recommend that students complete all first year compulsory subjects prior to completing elective subjects to maximise success.
Completion of 8 subjects from the schedule below:
- 4 core subjects
- TAS-XAB011 Learning at University
- TAS-XAB021 Academic Writing
- TAS-XAB090 Bridging Maths
- TAS-ZAA135 Professional Communication
- 4 Discipline Electives from the following:
- TAS-BAA111 People and Organisations
- TAS-BEA106 Introduction to Behavioural Economics
- TAS-BEA111 Introduction to Markets and the Economy
- TAS-BEA112 Fundamentals of Financial Markets and Institutions
- TAS-BEA121 Economic Policy in Action
- TAS-BEA140 Data Analysis for Business
- TAS-BFA103 Accountability and Accounting
- TAS-BFA107 Financial Accountability and Management
- TAS-BFA109 Applied Accounting Systems
- TAS-BMA101 Introduction to Management
- TAS-BMA121 Foundations of Human Resource Management
- TAS-BMA151 Principles of Marketing
- TAS-KIT101 Programming Fundamentals
- TAS-KIT102 Introduction to Data Science
Satisfactory completion of 8 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 1-3 years from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps. This degree also allows you to get started with Open access.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Choose how you want to start
You can apply for the full degree or if you want to start with Open access, enrol into the subjects using the ‘Single subjects’ option.
You can apply for the degree later and the subjects may be credited towards the degree.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.
This degree offers Open access entry, exclusive to Open Universities Australia.
There’s more than one way to get a degree. Open access allows you to start with single subjects as a way into eligible degrees, regardless of your study history.
Enrol into and complete the required Open access subjects to earn entry in this degree. Most subjects have no entry requirements, are fully government funded (if you’re eligible) and may be credited when you start the degree.
The best part? You can enrol and get started with single subjects now.